New to home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishrod1

Reaction score
Hello, new to home brewing here. I have started out with 1 gallon batches as i like to try different things. I want to describe my method and ask what method it is considered, and any comments to improve.I usually buy the complete kits but would like to start creating my own recipes as i like smooth lager type beers. I use a 2 gallon kettle to bring my water to a boil and step grains in a bag as directed. I them add in any the dry malt extracts at the appropriate times while continuing to boil. when boiling completed i sit my complete kettle into a sink of ice water to cool. I then siphon my wort into a fermenting vessel ( leaving any of the sludge in bottom of kettle), where i aerate by my wort back and forth. The add my yeast for fermentation.

Welcome to the forum! We have a lot of different types of brewers here, with all sorts of experience levels so I'm sure you'll fit right in.

You're doing extract batches, and using some specialty grains. We have a whole forum area dedicated to extract brewing and feel free to ask any questions you may have about anything from techniques to ingredients and recipes.

Again, welcome!

Sounds like a good process. Have you not progressed to larger batches yet? I look at the one gallon batch as a lure with a treble hook. Once the beer gods set that hook you won't get away! You are soon on your way to the five gallon batches...

Welcome to the board!

I use a 2 gallon kettle to bring my water to a boil and step grains in a bag as directed. I them add in any the dry malt extracts at the appropriate times while continuing to boil.

Welcome.

Maybe I don't understand completely, but if you're adding extract while the kettle is on the heat and boiling, the boil would stop for a short time, at least in my experience. By adding extract with the heat on and the boil stopped, you could get scorching. Since you didn't mention any scorching problem, maybe you stir hard enough to prevent it. But it might be safer to take the kettle off the heat before adding the extract. I take it off the heat and wait for one minute to let the bottom cool down to wort temperature before adding extract.

Best of luck with your brewing.

Hello, new to home brewing here. I have started out with 1 gallon batches as i like to try different things. I want to describe my method and ask what method it is considered, and any comments to improve.I usually buy the complete kits but would like to start creating my own recipes as i like smooth lager type beers. I use a 2 gallon kettle to bring my water to a boil and step grains in a bag as directed. I them add in any the dry malt extracts at the appropriate times while continuing to boil. when boiling completed i sit my complete kettle into a sink of ice water to cool. I then siphon my wort into a fermenting vessel ( leaving any of the sludge in bottom of kettle), where i aerate by my wort back and forth. The add my yeast for fermentation.

So i assume you know the difference between ales and lagers? I didn't for a lot time, before the internet days. lol

I have not progressed to larger bacthes yet. Wanted to start small untill i find the receipies i like.

You remind me of me......10 months ago I was ditto of what you are doing now. I upgraded to 2 1/2 gallon batches, but still do extract recipes. Keep brewing and stay hoppy :mug:

Back