new to forum help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, live in jersey and want to get started in home brewing. I was looking at beginers kits from superior and from midwest supplies. Any opinions or advice on decent starter kits under $200 would be much appreciated!! Cool forum seems like a real resource for anyone interested in the hobby.
Thanks for looking.:mug:

for a starter kit, skip on the glass carboy that is usually part of the "premium" starter kit or whatever its called. They can come into play later. Get the plastic buckets, a bottle capper, autosipon, airlock, hydrometer, long plastic spoon, a big pot and Starsan... whamo... instant starter kit essentials.

I just went through this with a buddy. He was looking at around that price but I got him to settle on Learn To Brew: Basic Homebrew Kit . It has most of what you need plus some upgrades like the autosiphon. All you need to buy is ingredients and a kettle, from there you will and can expand your arsenal easilly.

sudsman said:
Hi all, live in jersey and want to get started in home brewing. I was looking at beginers kits from superior and from midwest supplies. Any opinions or advice on decent starter kits under $200 would be much appreciated!! Cool forum seems like a real resource for anyone interested in the hobby.
Thanks for looking.:mug:

How far from Allentown pa are you? Keystone home brew is the best and the prices are just as good. Plus the guys in there know what they are talking about

I purchased the midwest starter kit (they had a groupon while back) and added a thief, to make Gravity readings easier, a reusable mesh bag for steeping grains, a 6.5 gallon carboy, for stage two fermenting, and a siphon to transfer, a larger thermometer that mounts to your brew kettle and 22 QT (5.5 gallons) stainless steel kettle from Walmart. Lastly I went to lowes and bought a paint mixer that goes with my drill to aerate.

TOTAL COST = 180.00

I'm extremely happy with my equipment so far.... So far.

I need to pick up some backup little peaces but I'm pretty much complete with my equipment.

Thanks 4 the advice I think I will go with the midwest supplies kit. What is the # 1 beer making Book I should purchase.?

Palmers "How to Brew" is where many of us start. Great book. You can also check out the podcasts on the Brewing Network, I often listen when driving.

I got started with a 5 gallon "better bottle", the "bottling bucket" I got from a LHBS (and associated tubing, racking cane, and filling tube), one of those bottle sanitizer things (can't remember the name of it.. you fill it with water and starsan, it does an instant sanitize rinse on your bottles), and an extract with steeped grains kit from Northern Brewer. Another item that I found immensely useful - something called a "wine thief". Helps you grab a small amount of brew from the carboy to test it with your hydrometer to check the gravity.

Northern Brewer is an awesome vendor with great customer service. as is Midwest Supply. Definitely get a hydrometer - it's one of THE most important tools a homebrewer can have in their arsenal. As far as brew kettles are concerned, you really only need a 5 ga. to get started if you're doing extract batches.

Also, become familiar with your town's water supply. If they add chloramines to the water, you'll want to pick up some campden tablets (they help remove chlormanes).

I'd also add - there is absolutely nothing wrong with using Coopers carb drops to carbonate your beer. When I first started out, I found adding the "right amount" of priming sugar to be a pain in the butt, so I just used the carb drops.

The rest is up to you. Brew what you like. Start simple. Get used to the process, and you'll be a happy brewer in no time!

Thanks 4 all your advice! I did order a kit from midwest supplies and am eagerly waiting 4 delivery. I did like the concept of non syphoning (thanks north rivers). But i went with the midwest kit. let all of you know how things go. Been reading many posts on the forum and has already been very helpful without even brewing a single batch yet!!
Good brewing to all!!

Back