new to cider...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose1873

Reaction score
I made 3 gallons of a stong cider last September. It has been crystal clear since december and I have racked a couple of times. My question is this:

How much potassium metabisulfite do I need to add to be sure to halt the fermentation. I'm assuming 1/4 tsp/5gallons (so 1/4 tsp should deffinately be enough for 3 gallons) but plan on sweetening with 2 cans of apple juice and force carbing and then bottling (to get sweetened, carbed, hard cider).

I just don't want bottle bombs...

thanks
:mug:

Potassium metasulfite doesn't halt fermentation. It just kills bacteria and wild yeasts. Potassium sorbate doesn't stop it either, just prevents the yeast from reproducing. What is there can happily keep on munching away.

However, considering how large a batch it is, how long you have had it going, and how clear it is, I think most of the yeast is already dead (use a hydrometer to make sure. If two readings within days/weeks of each other show no change, then it is done. Readings will be 1.000 and lower, too, unless the yeast can't handle the alcohol). What you want to make sure is that it stays dead so it doesn't start eating the new juice you put in. Therefore, you want to add sorbate and metasulfite (in case of contamination from the new juice).

How much? That is the easy part - it is written on the back of the packaging. No books or websites you have to look up each time you use it!

got it...i looked into it and will add k-meta and k-sorbate. the gravity hasn't moved since x-mas so i plan on racking, stabilizing, and in a week or so sweetening and force carbing...thanks

--goose

Back