New To Cider Making! Press and Apple Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorwhit

Reaction score
Hello,

I hope everyone is well! My husband and I are new to home brewing and cider making :)

We just got a press and we want to jump right in, but I found this forum and decided to come and say hi and ask for some help and guidance.

We are looking to try and make a apple coder with cinnamon, but we aren’t sure what apples to try or not to try! And after the press stages we have read so many different ways to begin the process!

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We have brewed beer but never done a cider, but this forum seems to be so full of knowledgeable people!

I would start by reading Jolicouer’s book.
There are too many varieties to list. Plus your region will also play a factor in what types of apples you should use.
My local library has his book. You may want to check out before you buy the book.

I don't see where you live, so your methods may vary. But here in the rural northeast, during apple season, I drive around with buckets in the back of my car. When I see a tree that's not near a house, I harvest. If there is a house, I'll ask and they almost always say yes. Have gotten some good apples (who knows what varieties) and pears as well. I like using multiple varieties, throw in some crabapples and the pears if I have them. Makes an interesting cider, both fresh and fermented.
And I just bought a cider press too!

I failed to mention that you should be thinking in terms of blends and not necessarily a single variety. Most cider making books will cover blending for acids, tannins and sugars.

There are a few known, good single varieties out there; Gravenstein, Orange Pippin, etc.

Or you could take my approach. Take what you can get and blend with crabs or adjust with wine tannin, acid etc.

Read Yooper's sticky above, then +1 for Claude Jolicoeur's book. For about $30 it will be one of the best cider related things you ever buy. Apart from being a reference it also is quite a good read, covering lots of aspects relating to cider making. Even if some of the contents don't relate to what you are doing, it is good to know about them.

As far as additives are concerned, I have had some success with fruit (about 5% cherries in secondary for a month) and hops (about 1/2 tsp per litre in secondary for a few days). Searching through the forum you will find lots of good ideas about how to add other flavours.

The other "trick" I have used is to add up to 10% pears if you want some sweetness. This gives a slight residual sweetness as pears contain something like four or five times as much sorbitol (a non fermentable sweetener) as apples do.

Have fun!

Back