New to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clark.sweatt17

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m new to brewing. I bought a chest freezer and an Inkbird ITC-308 temperature controller for my fermenter. It’s not heating or cooling the freezer temp at all. What am I doing wrong??? Thanks for any advice you can give.

You have the freezer plugged into the 'Cool' outlet and a heating element of some kind plugged into the 'Heat' outlet?

The plug for the temp probe is fully seated into its jack?

Well, without a heater in your freezer, it wouldn't heat. If you have your freezer plugged into the cooling port of the Inkbird and the Inkbird plugged into the wall, you should be working.

This is assuming your settings in the Inkbird are correct and your freezer works without the Inkbird.

They’re pretty simple devices. Plug freezer into the cold side, plug controller into the wall, run probe into freezer, create setpoint on controller. Your freezer just runs full blast when needed and the controller breaks the circuit when it reaches the set temperature.

Seedling mats and ceramic reptile heat lamps are popular heat sources.

Also, separately, consider a dehumidifier. Passive devices work well and can be 'recharged'.

Install a small muffin fan inside the freezer to circulate the air that runs all of the time. It provides enough heat to balance out the temperature (although I added an oil pan heater as well) and of course, equalizes the temperature in the chamber. I mounted mine on a 90 degree elbow so it collects air from the bottom of the freezer and blows it past the oil pan heater (which is mounted on a standoff from the freezer wall). Like this:

Attachments

• PXL_20220318_120034204.jpg
    PXL_20220318_120034204.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back