New to brewing sours...recommend me something!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatjonguy

Now with 57.93% more awesome!
Reaction score
Like the title says, I am new to brewing sours/wilds but want to get started this spring.

Recommend me something and tell me why, I am only able to do extracts (yay small apartment life) but have a fairly good collection of equipment.

I just want to dive right in and see what happens, since that is what home brewing means to me.

Boil up a 1.050 wheat beer extract wort, leave it outside to cool overnight, then take it inside and cover it with cloth. Wait a year.

I'd start by doing this:

http://***********/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/979-lambic-brewing

I'd start by doing this:

http://***********/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/979-lambic-brewing

Steve Piatz's NHC 2011 Gold Medal-winning peach lambic was, irrc, 9 years old. Might want to start the OP off on something a little quicker.

OP: a berliner weiss is a fairly quick and easy sour. You can brew it with 40% pils or x-light DME and 60% wheat DME. It might come out a little dark, but that's ok. White Labs makes a yeast for it, and you can bottle in 4-6 months.

If you're up for a non-sour wild beer, you can do a brett primary ferment in 2-3 months or a regular beer with brett secondary in 4-5 months.

I am leaning towards a Brett saison and either a framboise or kriek as well for next Christmas.

I am able to do partial mashes as well, so that may open up some options.

If you really want to get into it. Make a berliner (3-6 mos) and all brett beer (4-8 weeks) and a brett saison (6+ mos) that should get your sour pipeline going then make one your kriek or flanders for 1+ yrs.

Back