New to Brewing - Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newToHomeBrewing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm really interested in getting into Homebrewing, but am a little overwhelmed with how much information is out there. What would be the best way for me to get started?

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest you start by reading this:

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

It covers everything a new brewer needs to get started, and understand the process. Just read this online book, start simple, and come back here and ask questions if your unclear about something.

I was intimidated at first as well, and I'm going to let you know first off its a lot easier than people make you think! I went all grain immediately after 2 extract kits. I didn't any extra fancy crap either. I went to Home Depot and bought paint strainer bags. Boil in a bag. You can get a cheap turkey fryer capable of boiling 5 gallon batches there too for less than $50. It's also a lot of fun and very rewarding. You and your friends get to enjoy your hobby! If you like doing dishes, your going to love brewing beer!

I would look for a starter set at a home brew store on line or in your area. they should also be able to sell a recipe kit with everything you need for your first batch. just follow the recipe and ask questions you have on this site

I would look for a starter set at a home brew store on line or in your area. they should also be able to sell a recipe kit with everything you need for your first batch. just follow the recipe and ask questions you have on this site

I work at the LHBS here in Pittsburgh. Everyday we get at least one person who comes in and has no clue where to begin. We don't and won't judge.. and hopefully the employees at your LHBS won't either.

I was a bit overwhelmed at first as well. I read "Joy of Homebrewing" and "How to Brew".. and went for it. Been a year now, and I love every minute of it.

The best advice I can give is to not feel overwhelmed... it's only beer. :mug:

It gets a lot easier once you realize there are only about 5 steps you have to get right, especially if you do extracts.

1. Boil malt and water and hops
2. Add yeast after it cools to 100F.
3. After it ferments for a week or two make sure hydrometer reading is stable for 3 days.
4. Add priming sugar
5. Bottle and cap

Other steps like secondary fermentation and variations on the basic recipe change flavors or let you do other things like clarify the beer but this is pretty much it.

Visit a Local Homebrew Supply Store in your area. Ask questions. Ask lots of questions. They should have a basic starters kit that will do exactly that. Get you started. Don't get all into brewing a Triple Mocha Imperial Cinnamon Stout on your first brew. Try something easy like a simple Pale or Amber ale.

Like mentioned above. You really don't need to be a chemist to get it right on the first try. :)

Welcome to the madness!

Gary

I sent you a PM with the handout I made for new brewers who come to our monthly club meetings. Hope it helps.

2. Add yeast after it cools to 100F. A bit too high. It's brewing beer not making bread.

Back