New to brewing cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ejorocky

Reaction score
So, I'm just getting into brewing cider. I bought a kit with a 1 gal. Carboy. Bottled my first batch, and just started my second batch today.

First batch im happy with, it's a little dry and very tart but I like that. I actually messed up a bit trying to siphon it out of my carboy so I'm just happy I didn't spoil it. . .

I'm making plans for my third batch and would like to see what advice is out there.

My wife likes sweet ciders (think cider boys) and I want to make something she might like.
Any advice to make a sweet cider?

Also, I wanted to use regular apple juice (pasturized) and add the ingredients to make it a cider. I'm not really sure how or when to add those ingredients though.

So in short, any advise more experienced cider brewers have would be very much appreciated.

With any yeast fermented beverage the yeast want to eat all the sugars so sweetness is difficult to achieve. One way that I use for wine is to add sugar until the alcohol content kills off the yeast before they can eat it all. Others have mentioned artificial sweetners that are not sugars (think Splenda or Stevia) for sweetening after the fermentation is over or pasteurizing the beverage to kill the yeast before adding sugar for sweetning.

Lactose works but is not very sweet. You can add it when bottling and the yeast will not eat it.

Latest posts

Back