New to all grain would this work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
I am still in the process of builing my AG equipment I have 3 kegs right now but dont have any of the fittings, ball valves, false bottoms, etc. So what I had a thought which may or may not work.

So if I was going to brew this weekend could I use one of the kegs as a MLT put the water at the proper temperature and then add the grains. Let it do its thing for the 60 minutes. Then would come time to transfer out.

Since I dont have a false bottom what would happen if I were to put a paint strainer bag on my siphon hose and then begin to siphon out the wort. I could fill a container with 2 quarts and then vorlauf that back through. Once all the wort has been siphoned I could then sparge with the remainder of my heated water stirring well. When it came time to transfer that I would do the same thing with my siphon and suck out the wort into the brew kettle.

Other than taking longer than it would with a false bottom I dont think I really see an issue with doing it this way

Ive read that thread before but it doesnt seem like it would work for a full 5 gallon batch. Also I will be doing this in a 15.5 gallon keg. Eventually I will get my false bottom and other equipment Im just wondering if I can get a brew done before then using the method above.

Look for the Australian method. Big bag for the entire grain bill that you lift out when done. I think it was in last issue of BYO.

You could certainly use a filtered siphon to drain your MLT. I've seen mash tuns with manifolds where instead of installing a valve, etc. they just siphoned from the manifold. Go for it.

I'm going to disagree and suggest that you're not going to be able to siphon the wort out of the grain simply using a bag as a filter around the cane. First, 150F is a bit too hot for the autosiphon. By the time you sparge, it will be more like 170F. Also, the suction is going to pull the bag tight to the cane opening and restrict the flow big time.

+1 to bobby suggestion, being new to all grain as well since december messing with a stuck sparge and clogging during the 1st runnings is a bi$@#. Grant it, is a learning curve but if you listen to some advice one worth missing.

I agree that it probably won't work well - siphoning from a manifold is very different than siphoning with just a small filter over the siphon hose/racking cane; the inlet to that siphon hose is a much smaller area than that of a manifold.

I'd say if you want to give it a go before getting valves and false bottoms, etc your best bet would be either making a manifold that you could siphon from (IIRC there are instructions on how to go about this in How To Brew), or make a large fine mesh bag and try the brew-in-a-bag method

edit: found the How To Brew reference (at least the online version) - http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD.html there's a picture of a drop-in (no valve/drilling required) manifold made from copper pipe. (although it looks like it's in upside down? maybe to show the slots. those should go on the bottom of the pipe.)

I have tried something similar before and Bobby M is right (as usual!): the suction (or something) caused the paint strainer to get pulled into the siphon or dip tube, which will then halt your suction action. How about lining a bucket with the 5 gal paint strainer, then pouring the whole mash into it? Then, just pull the bag up and let it drain. If you are mashing more than 5 gal, then just do it in two 4 gal dumps.

On a side note, those paint strainers are damn handy. I do my mash in one, and I found that there's no need for any recirculation. Just pull the bag out and the wort is clear from the start. That's a nice time saver.

Latest posts

Back