New Stout.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie3

Reaction score
Ok so not so new but to me it is an idea that I never tasted before and really need some help in starting what looks to be a neat endeavor.

We all have heard of stout and when we think of stout we think, dark, chocolately, robust, toasty, smooth & cream Black stout. Has anyone tried to brew a WHITE stout.

I know there has got to be a way to keep Lovibond to a minimal and still get those nice stout flavors.

I figure to use Flaked Barley, Flaked Oats, some kind of toasty malt, some vienna and munic. Anyone have any idea on a recipe?

- WW

interesting idea....it's not going to be "white", that's for sure. maybe make the majority of the grain munich and add just a little 6-row to help with conversion.

hrm...what kind of malt would you use to give a toasty flavour that won't give much color?

First, the black roasted barley is the defining characteristic of a stout. I have no idea how you could get that flavor without the color.

Second, I gotta ask - why? Black beers look awesome!

bradsul said:
Stout to me is 'roasty' not 'toasty'. Not sure how you'd get that without a lot of colour.
I was thinking the same thing.

It would be really weird and interesting if you could do it, but I can't think of any way to get a significant 'roasty' flavor without using roasted grains, which are inevitably very dark.

I hear what you are describing as a brown ale, like maybe a Texas Brown ale. The roasted, burnt grains are part of stout and they are going to bring color with them.

Maybe there's some adjuncts that will add that flavor, so he can use light colored grains and add the adjuncts?

Roasty is more the word of choice. But there is a way and I will be damned to find it. Not taking away from Black beer - color is awesome I agree, but to make something different like clear coke or pepsi clear. I know that they both sucked but my experiment is to help introduce great flavors to those that normally would never go near stout. Dark = heavy in most of their minds so if I can come up with a lighter color with the same flavor... well that would be neat, to say the least.

Maybe it will turn out sh---y (which is might). Maybe somethings aren't meant to be F----d with.

- WW

Yes it would be like boddingtons only a little more roasty.

Nitrogen is a must. Hmmm...... Got me thinking.

- WW

Back