new still construction (CCVM)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmac62

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't say build, cause I didn't really build anything. I bought all the 2" SS tubes on Amazon 24 and 12" for the column, a sight glass, 6" T, 90* elbow and 6" on top of the tee. This is a Column Controlled Vaper Management (CCVM) still. The reflux condenser is made out of 70" 3/8ths OD Corrugated SS tubing used in gas lines. The product condenser is a 2x24" shotgun, and I'm using a submersible pump in the pool as the cooling water supply. Everything goes together with a TC fittings and I'm using a 15 gal keg with the 2" TC as the boiler. I have only run it once yet, but it is fairly easy to control. I really like the modularity of it. I can run it in full reflux and hypothetically get 95% out the top when in reflux, and break it down and cap the top and use it as a pot still. I was looking at Milehi or one of the other still makers when I thought to myself I can put one together that is exactly what I want and this so far is working for me. Can't wait to get it cranked up this holiday weekend. I've got 8 gals for 10% sugar wash ready to go. Just wanted to let folks know that you can put one together for cheeper that buying one. :mug:

I didn't say build, cause I didn't really build anything. I bought all the 2" SS tubes on Amazon 24 and 12" for the column, a sight glass, 6" T, 90* elbow and 6" on top of the tee. This is a Column Controlled Vaper Management (CCVM) still. The reflux condenser is made out of 70" 3/8ths OD Corrugated SS tubing used in gas lines. The product condenser is a 2x24" shotgun, and I'm using a submersible pump in the pool as the cooling water supply. Everything goes together with a TC fittings and I'm using a 15 gal keg with the 2" TC as the boiler. I have only run it once yet, but it is fairly easy to control. I really like the modularity of it. I can run it in full reflux and hypothetically get 95% out the top when in reflux, and break it down and cap the top and use it as a pot still. I was looking at Milehi or one of the other still makers when I thought to myself I can put one together that is exactly what I want and this so far is working for me. Can't wait to get it cranked up this holiday weekend. I've got 8 gals for 10% sugar wash ready to go. Just wanted to let folks know that you can put one together for cheeper that buying one. :mug:
Pictures?

Brew on :mug:

@cmac62 let me guess sanitary milk stuff? LOL like eveyone likes giving me a hard time about my milk pail? milk might be for babies, and possibly coffee, but SS milk tubes and cans is great for beer and whiskey!

but i'm in the pictures crowd! or it didn't happen! :mug:

1637772305798.png

Here is the requested picture. It is really tall when on the keg and the burner. I want to get it electrified, but I need 220 first. Propane works though. :mug:

In the column I originally had small pieces of copper mesh holding in 36" of lava rock packing. I just recently got some copper wool to pack the top 12" of the column. I'm going to give this a good soak in some star san prior to running anything, then I figure the fores and heads will clean it the rest of the way. How tight am I supposed to pack the copper? Thanks :mug:

Now I gotta figure a way to connect the PC to some kind of extension so I can collect the product away from the burner. LOL. The reducer is to a 1/2" FIP male threaded TC fitting. I have a long piece of .5" OD CSST that I can use, but it has a flared female fitting and finding a female fip to a male flared SS fitting is difficult. Any help would be appreciated. :mug:

Where did you get your condenser?
Its from Affordable Distilling Equipment, got it on Amazon. Ran it this weekend, jut put the PC at about 45* and used a ladder to hold the jar. This thing is tall when on the burner. I have 14 small cut jars sitting in the garage airing. One run was a dumper beer that I put too much spruce flavoring in. I'll do some tasting/blending tonight hopefully. :mug:

Love the sight glass, adds so much fun when it's running. I use two of them with screens in between and fill with ceramic raschig beads or with chopped fruit when I run fruit wines.

View attachment 750572
Yeah, I need to get at least one of those screens. I look forward to using mine as a gin basket. :mug:

Back