New Sprouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uechikid

Reaction score
The weather here has been so nice the last month or so my hop plants have already started sprouting. I went out to check on the last week and discovered quite a few sprouts. Some over two inches long. So I went out there with my trimmers a cut them back.

We just got 20" of snow.
I might go out and chip of some rhizome and see if I can get one started in my office.

DON'T try to sprout inside.

The hops will sprout as soon as possible, and with no transplant shock, will outpace even a 3 footer transplanted from inside.

I was kidding. I can't even get a shovel into the ground. It would be a cool addition to the plants I have going in my office though. :)

I started mine inside last year.
Just be careful when you make the transfer, I lost two.
I started them in these pots and left them near a south-facing patio door, then outside when I knew it was going to be nice.

Where are you in MLPS, Mike?

DSC_6504.jpg

Starting inside is FINE!

Digging up established rhizomes to re-start them inside a few weeks early would be ill advised.

Looking good, ctz, cascade, centennial, willamette, and nugget all survived their first winter. Little cute buds showing beautiful smiles. I was fearful since i failed to mulch or do any over wintering with them. Had some cold temps this winter in the Nati.

Norwood. 10 plants, two of each of the five listed variety. There are a decent amount of cincinnatians around hbt. Not too sure how many are growing hops.

I am a little south in louisville, mine do FANTASTIC.

My 3rd year cascade was 40 ft on 1 bine and I grew a total of 6 from it.

Back