new south florida brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fannypack

Reaction score
Hey guys! As my first post I figured this would be a good place for it to go.. anyways new south Florida brewer here.. 5 days into my first batch (though ive spent months lurking and reading) and im already realizing the difficulties im up against with the climate here. An added challenge never hurt anyone! Looking forward to diving head first into brewing and enjoying and sharing some sweet home brew!

For reference the batch I have going, my first batch, is a partial mash imperial nut brown ale. I can't tell you how stoked I am about the whole process!

Sounds like you're going to have fun tackling your climate issues (seriously, one of the only things that's as good as brewing is building things to help your brewing) Have fun!

Get a cooler and fill it with water about 1/3 up the carboy/bucket and drop some frozen water bottles into it. Not the best method but it is the cheapest. The actual swamp cooler method with the wet t-shirt and fan doesn't do squat here most of the year and especially wouldn't work if you're like some of the Key West residents that don't use AC until it's in the mid 80s.

If you're set on doing this get a temperature controller like a Ranco or a Johnson and a chest freezer or fridge if you have money and space. You could also build a son of a fermentation chiller. Temp control blows when room temp with the AC is still 75-78.

im already looking at plans for a fermentation chiller, and i see what you mean atonk. swamp i would be one of those residents.. ive been here quite a while so my ideas of 'cold' and 'hot' are a little skewed. :p

i am looking at combining a few plans ive seen for different fermentation chillers and doing basically a mother of a fermentation chiller and controlling it with this. we'll see how it goes!

Back