New science fiction story about homebrewing in space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kidchyron

Reaction score
Just got the new (May 2011) issue of Analog magazine, and discovered that one of the new short stories in it, "The Old Man's Best" by Bud Sparhawk, is pretty much all about homebrewing. In it, two working stiffs on a station in Jupiter orbit, missing one comfort of home in particular, have a go at brewing their own beer without alerting their disapproving superiors.

Having just finished reading the story, I think Sparhawk might've made a mistake or two about the process, but he certainly has a lot of the consequences right and he raises some interesting points about how homebrewing would work in that kind of environment. Plus the jury-rigging and conspiracy to keep the brew secret lead to some entertaining hijinks.

The magazine goes for $4.99 or $5.99 on the newsstand (I'm not sure how much exactly, I've been getting it electronically for the last few years). Check it out - apparently we're going to the stars! :D

Back