New-school English hops in IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterkidd

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of using the following recently released English hops? I want to make a "transatlantic IPA", celebrating both the American and English IPA styles. I plan to use some of all of these hops. As a side issue, do you think WLP007 (Dry English Ale Yeast) would give me a nice transatlantic fermentation profile?

ENDEAVOUR - http://www.britishhops.org.uk/endeavour/ - "Complex blackcurrant, loganberry and spice notes best describe Endeavour’s aroma, with a wonderful grapefruit and lime flavour. It is gentler than Cascade."
FLYER - http://www.britishhops.org.uk/flyer/ - "A citrus hop with aromas of stoned fruits, liquorice, treacle-toffee and caramel with slight burnt notes."
PILGRIM - http://www.britishhops.org.uk/pilgrim-2/ - "Pilgrim has a deeply fruity, spicy, yet unusually pleasant, lemon/grapefruit aroma with flavour characteristics including verdant, berries and pears."

Pilgrim isnt new, its been around for a while. but those other 2 look interesting. Its funny how Germany did the same thing by coming out with Huell Melon and Hallertau Blanc in response to popular newer US varieities and the hop explosion in NZ/AU

for a yeast, Id personally use WY1318 if you want a little bit of both worlds. Supposedly its the yeast that hillstead farms uses for their IPAs. Ive used it and its great for them

Endeavour intrigues me. If I can find it, I might try a NZ Motueka/Endeavour pale ale. Maybe a little Sorachi Ace or something. Would be cool to try. Not sure how good, but unique.

Thanks, guys. Doesn't seem to be much experience of these. All the better! Obviously the most scientific approach would be a bunch of SMASHes / hop teas to really understand the flavours and aromas. As it is, though, I'm probably gonna just chuck them all in an IPA and see what comes out. Will use the WY1318 - thanks m00ps. I'll post the results!

Jester is becoming very popular over here. Pilgrim is not bad but not amazing.

Jester is becoming very popular over here. Pilgrim is not bad but not amazing.

By "over here", do you mean Wales, JKaranka? 'Cos I'm only just over the bridge from you! :mug:

Haven't been able to find any Jester hops on the interweb. Do you know where I can get some?

Ha, you are right. I can't see them in any of the regular shops. Lots of beer released with them this year, like Tiny Rebel's Loki (80% Jester according to the pump clip), Moor and Adnams also have given them a go.

Btw, I thought I saw them in Malt Miller but maybe I just dreamed it. Rob removes everything that is out of stock so it's hard to tell.

Yeah, I heard that the pros are hogging it all at the moment. No Jester on there at the moment. Might be able to pick up some of next year's harvest...

I haven't had anything from Tiny Rebel yet. Might give them a go... ^_^

It's something like fifteen quid return on the train. Their Urban Tap House is a five minute walk from Cardiff train station. Not sure about the price of a pint, but fairly confident than it would be cheaper than in Bristol!

I would love to get my hands on some of these hops. If only some US suppliers would start carrying them.

I love English hops but, but regularly use US hops in addition to give it an extra kick for an IPA. These look like they could do the job by themselves.

It's something like fifteen quid return on the train. Their Urban Tap House is a five minute walk from Cardiff train station. Not sure about the price of a pint, but fairly confident than it would be cheaper than in Bristol!

Funnily enough, I've just returned from there today!
I used to live on the outskirts of Newport but have not moved away to Dursley so I pop back from time to time.
We met up with a couple of mates in Urban Tap House today and I tried the "Cereal Killer" - 3.0% ABV, really hoppy, great session beer! (I thought I would look for a clone recipe which is how I stumbled across this thread)
Last week Tiny rebel opened an Urban Tap House in their home city of Newport which is a little closer for you I suppose...

I was hoping for some direction on the hop bill for that, I guess there has to be plenty of Cascade in it. Has anyone else tried it?

It's really good. I was volunteering at the Great Welsh Beer Festival and I had it behind the bar. I had a few pints then. The body is low but decent, and the hop character is excellent. I would expect the grist to be something like 50% pale malt, 30% Munich and 20% oats. Most of the hops (if not all) must have been added post-boil.

Nice! yeah that sounds good, I think I'll try something like that in the new year with mosaic and cascade as a whirlpool addition and then maybe dry hopped as well after a week in primary...
Seeing as I'm still relatively new to brewing I'm trying to make the majority of my brews SWMBO friendly - so light, hoppy IPAs and wheat beers etc. that she can enjoy are good to help her tolerate the smells and messes I make in the kitchen!

Back