New rhizomes

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ABI Brewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3 new rhizomes that I need to plant, I am wondering about the best care for them, I am in Minnesota and the ground is still cold, should I start them in planters on the porch or is the ground good to go

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don't remember trimming any of mine, but if you have any soft spots you can trim that off. The first year they should be over 12' tall, but a heavy twine should be able to hold them I think.

Kent88

Sometimes I have to remind myself
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
These folks are in the Twin Cities area:

I'd advise you, if you can, to plant them in the ground as soon as you're comfortable doing it. Pick a spot that gets a lot of sun, has something for the bines to climb, and gets a fair amount of water but isn't always saturated.

If you want to put them in containers until you see a little growth, that is ok, too. When it comes time to plant just compress the dirt in the container a bit so that you don't have everything fall apart when you transplant it.

A bonemeal addition to the soil is good, but something else to consider is giving them a good, slow-release source of nitrogen over the summer. I'd recommend some bloodmeal.

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score
One of my suppliers suggests growing bare rhizomes in a pot indoors until they've developed a pot-full of roots, and only then plant outside. It's not so much about the cold - these are temperate-zone plants that positively benefit from a bit of frost in winter and they must survive the occasional -10C to grow in Kent and I suspect Bohemia gets much colder - but I think it's just about giving them a bit of TLC to recover from the shock of being cut from their parent.

OP
ABI Brewery

ABI Brewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just want to send a shout out to the guy in minneapolis that I bought rhizomes and whole leaf cascades from off of craigslist from, the hops are awesome and even though only paid you for 3 rhizomes i got 6, thanks bud...........cheers