New recipe I want to try, need input?!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
I was thinking of tring this as my next brew. I like Sam Adams Boston Lager. Do you think this would make a good boston ale? I do not have the means to lager YET!

6 lbs. Light LME
2 lbs. Light DME
1 lbs. crystal 30L
8 oz. carapils

2 oz tettnanger 60min.
.5 oz hallertau 15 min.
.5 tettnanger 5 min.

.5 hallertau dry hop

nottingham yeast.

10 days primary, then 14 days secondary.

Please look it over and help me refine the recipe or the process.

What should be changed?? If anything.:mug:

If your talking about Sam Adams boston ale you want to use EKG and Fuggles. However you can switch out the yeast you have For The WLP 810 San Fran Lager yeast, That will give you a Boston "Steam" Lager.

I wanted to keep the hops that are in the lager. I like them. I was more concerned with types of yeasts and ingredients I want to use. I was going to try and keep it on the lower end of the temp. with which ever yeast I go with.

Thanks

That's a good yeast to use if you want to make an ale with similar characteristics to a lager. It will ferment at low temps (57f) and will produce a very clean ale. I don't see any major issues with your recipe so I'd say go for it. Let us know how it turns out.

BTW, I'd recommend doing a late extract addition. Maybe add your DME @ 60 min. and your LME (off the heat) @ 10 min. This will reduce caramelization and keep your brew from looking like a brown ale.

If your talking about Sam Adams boston ale you want to use EKG and Fuggles. However you can switch out the yeast you have For The WLP 810 San Fran Lager yeast, That will give you a Boston "Steam" Lager.

I'm pretty sure Sam Adams uses Hallertau hops in their Boston lager. At least that's what they say in their commercials.

Looking at the website, the grainbill is 2-row Pale Malt and C60.

The pale is made up with your LME and DME, so you need to steep C60, probably something like 6-8 oz. Carapils might be a nice addition, probably the same amount.

If you can't lager, I'd ferment with Nottingham at the low end of the range to keep things as clean as possible.

That's a good yeast to use if you want to make an ale with similar characteristics to a lager. It will ferment at low temps (57f) and will produce a very clean ale. I don't see any major issues with your recipe so I'd say go for it. Let us know how it turns out.

BTW, I'd recommend doing a late extract addition. Maybe add your DME @ 60 min. and your LME (off the heat) @ 10 min. This will reduce caramelization and keep your brew from looking like a brown ale.

I forgot to mention i hope to do a full boil with this. Will that change anything procedure wise?

I forgot to mention i hope to do a full boil with this. Will that change anything procedure wise?

You'll get better hop utilization, so you may want to drop the bittering addition by 1/2 oz. Your color will end up quite a bit lighter than Sam Adams (especially if you do a late addition) so you may want to take flyangler's advice and use crystal 60L instead. This should get you around 10 SRM, 30 IBU, and 6% ABV.

I'm pretty sure Sam Adams uses Hallertau hops in their Boston lager. At least that's what they say in their commercials.

Yes they do and tettnang, Thats why I suggested switching to San Fran Lager yeast to make it close to boston lager.

Yes they do and tettnang, Thats why I suggested switching to San Fran Lager yeast to make it close to boston lager.

Actually, you suggested using EKG and Fuggle, as opposed to Hallertau.

I would think using Nottingham at low temps would actually get closer to style than a strain used to make steam beer.

Actually, you suggested using EKG and Fuggle, as opposed to Hallertau.

I would think using Nottingham at low temps would actually get closer to style than a strain used to make steam beer.

ugh....I miss read his post, He said "will this make a good boston ale" I thought he was referring to making the actual Sam Adams Boston ale whish uses EKG and fuggles. My screw up!

ugh....I miss read his post, He said "will this make a good boston ale" I thought he was referring to making the actual Sam Adams Boston ale whish uses EKG and fuggles. My screw up!

He did say ale, and lager. I can see why there was a bit of confusion actually.

BTW, does Sam Adams make a Boston ale? I've never heard of such a thing, but then I'm not a huge Sam Adams fan so that wouldn't be a big surprise.

BTW, does Sam Adams make a Boston ale? I've never heard of such a thing, but then I'm not a huge Sam Adams fan so that wouldn't be a big surprise.

Yep, it's actually a stock ale that has more in common with English Pales than anything American. EKG/Goldings abound.

I have brewed there Hop head IPA and love it. I want to know if any one has had a chance to taste them both? I am interested in the Furious clone but do not want a overly bitter tasting beer. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

WARNING: Gratuitous thread hijack follows. You have been warned.

Impulse,

Are you a member of Lehigh Valley Homebrewers? It's a fantastic group!

As you can see from my profile, I'm right down the road in Easton. Go Green Knights!

:D

Bob

Here's the LVHB website. We meet in the Steelgaarden the last Tuesday evening of each month. Short business meeting, then we drink each others' beer. :)

One of the club's biggest annual activities is tomorrow, actually; the club is doing a Big Brew at a member's farm, filling apple brandy casks with Saison. I'm sure they'd welcome you; I can't go, drat it all. [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3814+Apple+Rd,+Northampton,+PA+18067,+USA&ie=UTF8&ll=40.738055,-75.509269&spn=0.007316,0.014291&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1"]Here[/ame]'s the address on Google Maps.

Cheers,

Bob

Back