NEW Product Launch - Bottom Draining Kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Meet the last kettle you'll ever need. We call it the Tank for a reason—it's a beast! The Tank features a domed bottom for complete draining and easy cleaning. It also features tri-clamp fittings which are welded right here in Milwaukee. This is a product you've been asking for and we're here to deliver.

The tank will be available as a standalone kettle (10-50gal size), in our Solo System and Trio System and even as a custom kettle. Another feature that will be available is a mash door! The Tank is launching Fall 2022!

Stay tuned for more info and sign up for the pre-sale on the new Tank product page.

Spike Tank Product Page:
https://spikebrewing.com/spike-tank

2_071122_The-Tank-Social.jpg

Curious about what I assume is the whirlpool port on the boil kettle half way up the side? What's the purpose of the higher port?

Curious about what I assume is the whirlpool port on the boil kettle half way up the side? What's the purpose of the higher port?

The right most kettle is the BK. The lower power on the wall is the racking port which is where you'd empty your kettle from after whirlpooling. The top port is where you would whirlpool from.

This is super cool! I really hate having to lift my Grainfather to dump stuff out while cleaning.

@Bobby_M will you be doing your BiaB conversions on this kettle?
It is completely dependent on what configurations Spike is willing to sell me. The general feedback was that they will be configurable similar to the V4 kettles are now so we'll see.

It is completely dependent on what configurations Spike is willing to sell me. The general feedback was that they will be configurable similar to the V4 kettles are now so we'll see.
Cool, I hope so! Switching to one of your systems was my next planned upgrade. I’d be happy to beta test your first conversion of one of these when they become available!

Nice. I'm going to have a hard time not ordering a custom one with the same port configuration as my current kettle so please price that ridiculously high to kill my dreams :D

Seriously, thinking about my current cleaning regime I'm using at least 5 gallons of water strictly for purposes of flushing trub and hop matter out of the kettle into a bucket. I think the bottom drain would cut my cleaning time and volume by at least half.

Nice. I'm going to have a hard time not ordering a custom one with the same port configuration as my current kettle so please price that ridiculously high to kill my dreams :D

Seriously, thinking about my current cleaning regime I'm using at least 5 gallons of water strictly for purposes of flushing trub and hop matter out of the kettle into a bucket. I think the bottom drain would cut my cleaning time and volume by at least half.

Ohhh they will be high 🤣 but like you said it’ll cut your cleaning time drastically.

Any chance you guys will sell a neoprene sleeve for these things (or for that matter, the Flex+ fermenters)? I had to build one out of reflectix for my Solo+ kettle, but it just isn't sexy.

The Flex+ jacket already exists. See HERE.

No plans for kettle jackets as it's just not needed on an electric system.

Will the preorder only be available for standard port configurations or can we place a pre order and specify custom placement?

The presale for the NEW Solo System with the bottom drain Tank kettle is now live! Today only and limited quantities available. As a bonus the NEW Spike Flow pump can also be added on to the Solo! Be one of the first brewing on the new bottom drain Tank kettles!

The presale for single Tank kettles is next week. Are you signed up to be notified about that presale!? If not, follow the link below and click the 'Email Me When In Stock' button.

So for a BIAB setup, after chilling/whirlpooling, do you have to pump/dump all the hops and trub before transferring the wort to the fermenter? Or is the bottom drain only for mash recirculating?

So for a BIAB setup, after chilling/whirlpooling, do you have to pump/dump all the hops and trub before transferring the wort to the fermenter? Or is the bottom drain only for mash recirculating?
You would transfer from the racking port to avoid sucking up any hops and trub. You can then dump everything out the bottom and rinse.

I’m confused, I hat sounds like a measurement from the top not the floor. Wouldn’t they vary by kettle size as measured from the top?
The legs are about 8” tall and the racking port is about 2” above that and the whirlpool port is 4” above that. Do you have a specific need for where the ports are or just curious?

OK I see what you mean now. I was referring to the floor of the kettle but that makes sense. Trying to figure out whether to go with a Solo kettle to replace my custom kettle or custom when orders for the latter open up.

FYI in case you were not on the presale announcement list we just kicked off the presale for our new bottom drain Tank kettle. The presale is today (9/29) only and orders placed today will be the first ones being shipped out in mid-October.

We also just released a video talking about the differences between a standard flat bottom kettle and the new bottom draining Tank kettle. Check it out if you want to learn more!

I am referring to something that will prevent pellet hops from getting past it, so i could use the center drain. I believe some of the all in ones like kegland have something for this purpose.
You would get the racking arm and drain out of the port on the kettle wall. The bottom drain is only used for cleaning on the boil kettle. Below is a video showing the process.

These are interesting as they allow full drainage and filling from the bottom. A 2 vessel Boil/MT system for no sparge would be a step towards a LODO environment but even just a one vessel eBIAB would be a nice upgrade.

Are seals or gaskets offered for the lids?

What kind of vacuum can the vessel withstand? As in vacuum/purge with N or CO2, vacuum would be very slight.

These are interesting as they allow full drainage and filling from the bottom. A 2 vessel Boil/MT system for no sparge would be a step towards a LODO environment but even just a one vessel eBIAB would be a nice upgrade.

Are seals or gaskets offered for the lids?

What kind of vacuum can the vessel withstand? As in vacuum/purge with N or CO2, vacuum would be very slight.

We don't have a gasket for the lid but I'm sure one could be DIY'd. The tank will be able to withstand more vacuum than you'd be able to pull.

@SpikeBrewing What's the measurement from foot to foot for the 15 gallon vessel? I couldn't find this on the mechanical drawings on your site.

I brew on top of a large digital scale, I use this to calculate volume throughout the brew day. I want to make sure this will fit on the scale without any feet hanging off the side.

Latest posts

Back