NEW PRODUCT from Nor Cal Brewing - Speidel blow off AND thermowell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here ya go you guys. Were offering this with the Thermowell and without.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Speidel-Blow-Off-Tube-Thermowell.html

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Speidel-Fermenter-Blow-Off-Tube.html

You will need to add the extra spigot to get the lock ring as the Speidel fermenters only come with one.

Whatcha' Think?

Cheers
Jay

2856-Speidel-Blow-Off-with-Thermowell-On-Fermenter.jpg

2856-Speidel-Blow-Off-with-Thermowell-Closeup.jpg

2856-Speidel-Blow-Off-with-Thermowell.jpg

It would be nice to see some package deal for the dip tube and blow off tube. I will probably buy the blow off and thermowell anyway.

This could be my first foray into thermowells. Do you know if it would it accommodate the temperature probe of an Inkbird ITC 308?
(Right now I bungee cord it to the side of my Speidel with a hunk of foam rubber...meh, it works.)

This could be my first foray into thermowells. Do you know if it would it accommodate the temperature probe of an Inkbird ITC 308?
(Right now I bungee cord it to the side of my Speidel with a hunk of foam rubber...meh, it works.)

Is the probe 1/4" or smaller?

Cheers
Jay

This is badass.

One suggestion: Sell a package for the 12L model that doesn't come with an airlock. I'm assuming either by including a pre-drilled lid, or the extra fittings for someone who wants to drill their own lid.

I use a 12L Speidel for all of my small-batches without an airlock, but I'd love to convert it to a blowoff/thermowell system like this.

The 12L Speidel is much shorter than the others, so it might require a shorter thermowell, however.

This is badass.

One suggestion: Sell a package for the 12L model that doesn't come with an airlock. I'm assuming either by including a pre-drilled lid, or the extra fittings for someone who wants to drill their own lid.

I use a 12L Speidel for all of my small-batches without an airlock, but I'd love to convert it to a blowoff/thermowell system like this.

The 12L Speidel is much shorter than the others, so it might require a shorter thermowell, however.

I am working with my vendor to get these at a reasonable price so we don't loose $$ on the shipping side of things with these little guys. They truly a whole different animal thank the bigger ones (as you know) I am bringing one in my store to look at it and decide if we can carry it or not. I'll keep ya posted.

Cheers
Jay

Also for all you guys that don't actually have a Speidel yet and are thinking of diving into them. I should have all the parts listed as drop downs on my site tomorrow at a discount if your buying the Speidel. You will auto "magically" get a 10% off each add on Speidel part for buying it as the bundle.

Cheers
Jay

Is the probe 1/4" or smaller?

Cheers
Jay

According to the Inkbird site, here's the temp probe dimensions:

What’s the diameter of the sensor?

The tip part of the sensor (metal): Diameter: 6mm, Length: 50mm;

The rest part (plastic): Diameter: 3.2mm, Length: 2m;

This is fantastic! I've been thinking about making myself a thermowell, but I'm not mechanically inclined and I was hesitant to try drilling into my lids. Ordering one now!

This is fantastic! I've been thinking about making myself a thermowell, but I'm not mechanically inclined and I was hesitant to try drilling into my lids. Ordering one now!

Gotcha Ian. I'll make sure it goes out today for ya!

Thanks for the order.

OK. You have to explain the POPSICLE user name for me. Is it cold up there?

Cheers
Jay

Gotcha Ian. I'll make sure it goes out today for ya!

Thanks for the order.

OK. You have to explain the POPSICLE user name for me. Is it cold up there?

Cheers
Jay

Ha, that's a better explanation than the real one. It's a long-standing inside joke, the origins of which I don't fully remember (something about a freezer full of popsicles in college), that long ago became one of my standard online usernames and has demonstrated inexplicable sticking power.

Thanks for the quick processing, can't wait to try it out!

Ha, that's a better explanation than the real one. It's a long-standing inside joke, the origins of which I don't fully remember (something about a freezer full of popsicles in college), that long ago became one of my standard online usernames and has demonstrated inexplicable sticking power.

Thanks for the quick processing, can't wait to try it out!

Ha Ha Ha.. I never saw that coming..... LOL

You should have tracking in your inbox. Let me know what you think when they arrive.

Cheers
Jay

Hey Jay! This is awesome! I was about to send you a PM on here but I'll ask it here just in case anyone else is wondering. With the probe being 14" do you find that it is sufficiently submerged in the 30L fermentor for a 5 gallon batch? I'm thinking that's plenty but just making sure. I'll be picking this up for some lager brews!

Still loving all the parts for my Bru Gear kettles you did BTW!

Hey Jay! This is awesome! I was about to send you a PM on here but I'll ask it here just in case anyone else is wondering. With the probe being 14" do you find that it is sufficiently submerged in the 30L fermentor for a 5 gallon batch? I'm thinking that's plenty but just making sure. I'll be picking this up for some lager brews!

Still loving all the parts for my Bru Gear kettles you did BTW!

Hey Gus! Thanks for the shout out on the Bru Gear stuff so glad its still working out man! Great to hear.

As for the 30 L and Thermowell, Ohh yeah for sure. It will go almost all the way to the bottom of the 30L fermenter. Now if your talking the 30 GALLON uhhh no not even close for 5 gallons in there. :D

Cheers
Jay

Hey Gus! Thanks for the shout out on the Bru Gear stuff so glad its still working out man! Great to hear.

As for the 30 L and Thermowell, Ohh yeah for sure. It will go almost all the way to the bottom of the 30L fermenter. Now if your talking the 30 GALLON uhhh no not even close for 5 gallons in there. :D

Cheers
Jay

Haha def 30L..... for now! I'll be ordering one of these! Looks like it will be perfect to lager some beers. Temp usually isn't high on my priority list with Saison brewing but I'm brewing a lot more German beers now days so this will help tons! Heading to place my order!

Cheers!

This thing is awesome! Thanks for creating it Jay! Helped me with keeping temps perfect! I brewed a Belgian ale first but will be using it to keep my lager temps stable soon!

This thing is awesome! Thanks for creating it Jay! Helped me with keeping temps perfect! I brewed a Belgian ale first but will be using it to keep my lager temps stable soon!

NICE Gus that is awesome!! Now, do you need my address so you know where to send beer? :D:D:D Just kidding!

So happy you are enjoying it man! Have you done lagers before? I am working on a Bock recipe at the moment. It's what I am going to be brewing next weekend.

Cheers
Jay

NICE Gus that is awesome!! Now, do you need my address so you know where to send beer? :D:D:D Just kidding!

So happy you are enjoying it man! Have you done lagers before? I am working on a Bock recipe at the moment. It's what I am going to be brewing next weekend.

Cheers
Jay

First one for me! Taking on a Munich Dunkel first then plan on using the cake for a doppelbock. I've got some catching up to do with brewing. Just finished a new 5 tap keezer I need to fill. Haha

Back