new probe thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastoak

Reaction score
i've been trying to find a probe thermometer to use in my mash tun that is immersible right out of the box and this may be it.

DSC5379-M.jpg

i've bought a couple of these...

oneida-digital-probe-L.jpg

and i did see there is a mod to make them water proof but i saw the mod after i had killed a couple of probes by immersing them in the mash. i did bake the probe to see if that would fix it but no luck, it reads 235 degrees at room temps.

the thermoworks unit uses a K type probe, mine is 39" and is not quick read. there are a pretty large variety of probes some of which claim to have 2 or 3 second reads, i may get one of those too. i paid $77 shipped and the reason i got this and not the thermapen is i like having a probe inside the mash tun rether than lifting the lid to check temps. the unit stays on for 4 minutes at a time but it does read accurately when turned on. this auto off can be disabled on the thermapen, but not on this unit as far as i know.

Back