New Plants Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dak1b

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I planted my 11 hops 4 days ago. Outside temp reached a high of 85 degrees the past few days. These 3 guys aren't looking too great. All the others look fine. Overwatered? I've been watering everyday, around one minute for each plant. Ideally how much often/how much do you need to water young plants?

Thanks so much for the help! Cheers!:mug:

IMG_5862.jpg

IMG_5863.jpg

IMG_5864.jpg

Are they in pots or in the ground? Hows the drainage? If in pots drill more holes in the pots. My first attempt (last year) all but one died, root rot, not enough drainage!

From what I've read, they need moisture and good drainage. Is the plant pictured in full sun most of the day? When you water do you wet the leaves?

Look to me like the heat has them struggling. Transplanting in full sun and upper temps is hard on the younger plants. Usually some water and a good dose of vitamin B helps before & after transplanting.

I typically give new plants about 1/2 gallon water a day.

Are they in pots or in the ground? Hows the drainage? If in pots drill more holes in the pots. My first attempt (last year) all but one died, root rot, not enough drainage!

In the ground. The drainage should be good. Dug about 1ft hole around mixed soil with steer manure.

From what I've read, they need moisture and good drainage. Is the plant pictured in full sun most of the day? When you water do you wet the leaves?

The plants receive about 6-7 hours of sunlight per day. Yes, when I water I do wet the leaves....I just bought a soaker hose to solve the issue.

A moisture meter is handy.

Hops tend to like a good soaking followed by a dry period. I would just soak them for 30 minutes to one hour. Then check the moisture over a few days, adjusting as needed.

Even at a minute they may not have received enough water especially with the heat. Also you don't want to water the crown directly. Water around the plant where the roots grow.

A moisture meter is handy.

Hops tend to like a good soaking followed by a dry period. I would just soak them for 30 minutes to one hour. Then check the moisture over a few days, adjusting as needed.

Even at a minute they may not have received enough water especially with the heat. Also you don't want to water the crown directly. Water around the plant where the roots grow.

Moisture meter and miracle grow in the mail...should be here in a few days. Thanks Amazon. :mug:

Back