New pin-lock posts for Spartanburg kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyP

Reaction score
I have a couple of Spartanburg kegs with pin lock posts that I'm looking to replace. The current posts have some kind of non-removeable poppet held in place by metal clips and I can't get in there to clean & sanitize and replace o-rings. One of them is leaking because the valve isn't making a good seal so I'm pretty sure I need to replace the o-ring in the poppet.

My understanding is that there a lot of different post styles out there... How do I make sure I order the right ones that fit my kegs (preferably with removable poppets). The hex heads fit a 13/16" socket.

This link might provide some guidance.

But the poppets aren't welded in; you can pry the three legs off the ledge they're sitting upon so the poppet will drop right out...

Cheers!

Wow! I never figured out how to pry those little buggers out until tonight. This thread gave some great info:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cant-remove-poppet-valve-post-firestone-166944/

Basically by first pushing UP on the legs I was able to dislodge the legs from the walls and then pry them off. They dropped right out just like you said.

Now, after getting the poppets it's clear to me why I'm having leaks: the rubber seal is all cracked and worn. But the seal doesn't look replaceable... Do I just need new poppets? If so, can I can get the "universal" ones that come out easily?

There are at least a half dozen different styles of post poppets. I don't know if the tiny seals are separately available for each style (or any style, for that matter - I never tried to replace just the sealing part).

Googling "pin lock poppet price" provides plenty of hits. This Amazon page shows lots of different poppets. If you can match yours to one shown you're in business.

fwiw, I really dislike universal poppets. I have a pair of them on my two line cleaners and 50% of the time I use them the o-ring rides partially off the metal plunger and wedges in the hole at the top of the post, pinned there by the plunger. Sometimes I can work the o-ring back in place, but sometimes I have to disassemble the post. As a result of that experience I'll never use one on an actual keg...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
The universal poppets are your best bet. If you need to replace those style poppet with OEM poppets search for AEB poppet or long leg firestone poppet. Match it up with what you have, it will be either of the two.

The universal poppets are your best bet. If you need to replace those style poppet with OEM poppets search for AEB poppet or long leg firestone poppet. Match it up with what you have, it will be either of the two.

Thanks, looks like long leg Firestone poppets are what I need, although the universal ones are tempting to try. How much life can I expect out of a new poppet? Should I keep a stash of them around like I do I-rings?

Back