New pet peeve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love that word.

I often use it as "wee yeasties," a throw back to Antony Van Leeuwenhoek, who first discovered single cell organisms and called them "wee beasties."

How about "yeastie beasties" or "yeasty goodness"?

Then there are always "yeast orgies" and the good ole "nasty dirty yeasty fun"

If you don't appreciate your yeasties, how will you enjoy the beery goodness of your next ale?

:p

Can't go with you on this one. And I think the yeastie beasties will surely kick you in the beer karma nuts on your next batch. They might just invite their buddy Brett. :D

Can't go with you on this one. And I think the yeastie beasties will surely kick you in the beer karma nuts on your next batch. They might just invite their buddy Brett. :D

I readily invite brett to the party.

I do have a sense of humor. I just think it is vastly different than the norm. I guess I also think of brewing as a process I want to be exact and scientific when it comes to terminology and all that. Saying "your little yeasties need time..." just doesn't really seem like a sentence I ever want to type, unless to mock it.

Nah. It is the word yeastie. Just annoys me, I guess. I would way rather see someone say, "Your yeast need time to work." followed by silliness that may or not be unrelated. Just like I don't type LOL unless I'm being sarcastic.

Some possible nicknames for your yeast based on their roots:

Root 1: Saccharomyces cerevisiae
s cerevisiae
s-c's
sec-ees
sexies

Root 2: asexual fungi
asexual fun-guy
asexual fun guys

New proposed "scientifically determined" nickname:
sexy, asexual fun guys

Some possible nicknames for your yeast based on their roots:

Root 1: Saccharomyces cerevisiae
s cerevisiae
s-c's
sec-ees
sexies

Root 2: asexual fungi
asexual fun-guy
asexual fun guys

New proposed "scientifically determined" nickname:
sexy, asexual fun guys
Might as well call it 'the big sac'.

I readily invite brett to the party.

I do have a sense of humor. I just think it is vastly different than the norm. I guess I also think of brewing as a process I want to be exact and scientific when it comes to terminology and all that. Saying "your little yeasties need time..." just doesn't really seem like a sentence I ever want to type, unless to mock it.

I agree, I just think it sounds stupid.
If one was explaining the brewing process to a non brewer would say "yeastie"?

I have often used the term "yeasty beasties" to non-homebrewers when explaining the process. It's like when my roommate calls his dog "snuggle-kins"...it's annoying as hell, but you can't really do anything because it's simple affection ;)

Bite me...I say it because some people have a pet peeve about the word yeasts..

Plus you know, it does inject a little humor in a nervous noobs answer..and gives them a bit of personality because some people seem to think that they are inorganic compounds and this is chemsitry or making koolaid...mix and be done, NOT that they are living micro organisms that are as much our PARTNERS in the brewing process than anything...

Besides they're so damn cuuuuute! You can even get them as cuddly wuddly stuffed animals!!! See!

beerandbread.jpg

So Neener, neener, neener!

icon_OO.gif

Bite me...I say it because some people have a pet peeve about the word yeasts..

Plus you know, it does inject a little humor in a nervous noobs answer..and gives them a bit of personality because some people seem to think that they are inorganic compounds and this is chemsitry or making koolaid...mix and be done, NOT that they are living micro organisms that are as much our PARTNERS in the brewing process than anything...

Besides they're so damn cuuuuute! You can even get them as cuddly wuddly stuffed animals!!! See!

beerandbread.jpg

So Neener, neener, neener!

icon_OO.gif

Yes. Yeasts is incorrect too. YEAST. How hard is it? That plush thing is actually pretty great. But I would still call it a yeast.

why_so_serious_cat-12947.jpg

Meh...I feel the same way about "keggle". But hey, who am I to judge?
Y E A S T I E S FTW! :rockin:

I'm with the OP on this one. Not that it's a big deal, but when I see it posted, I can't help but think, "ugh".

Just like I did when I realized the radio was playing "Liberty Valance" or whatever just now. Ugh. Now it's Tainted Love...

Just like I did when I realized the radio was playing "Liberty Valance" or whatever just now. Ugh. Now it's Tainted Love...

You know, there a special circle of hell reserved for people who don't like Liberty Valance or Taited Love. :D

Wait, wtf'in radio show plays those two songs in the same rotation?

Back