New or used keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khawk95

Reaction score
So I'm expanding my kegs. Up until now, I've only used pre owned kegs. I've come across some new kegs for sale, but they are twice as much. Is it worth it? I'm curious to hear some pros and cons.

Roed Haus Brewery

I do not own any new kegs but I am not sure the attraction. I own 8 used cornys and my kegs reside in my chest freezer. They function properly and vary in appearance.

Outside of showing the new aesthetics I am unsure of what upgrade a "new" keg offers....

I am satisfied with used and will only buy new if the used keg market completely dries up...

Good luck!

It all depends on how much money your are comfortable spending. All of my ball locks were obtained via CL at an average of around $23/each. I don't really see a need to spend $100 for a single new one. If new gaskets are needed, they can be replaced for $5.

Thanks! That reinforced my cheapness... Now if I could find used kegs for under 50, I'm in business.

Roed Haus Brewery

No doubt!!!! If I could find them for $23 each, I would buy all they had and relist them.
Good ball locks are like like a 79's muscle car, only going to increase in value :thumb

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I bought a used keg because it was cheaper. Came with new O rings and had some rust. Used a scrubby and Bar Keepers Friend and rust gone. Just like new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

Pros, nice new keg.
Cons, Double the price, have to worry about scratching denting nice new keg.

I started buying new kegs but look at it this way I paid about 30 for the used ones can sell them for about 50. So that's 20 off my new keg coming to 80 for a new one vs. 55-60 for a used one now. You'll have them for the rest of your life, so if you do have the money I'd say buy new.

I get my used kegs for about $54 and they are reconditioned. Even though they are reconditioned, they have some problems that you might not experience with a new keg. I have had:

1) Small leaks that are hard to find (1 cost me half a CO2 tank)
2) Bent posts making the disconnects a PIA to take off
3) Root beer kegs
4) Rubber handles ripping off
5) The black coloring on the rubber coming off when wet and staining my keezer and hands

If I had the money, I would buy the kegs new. I just feel like I wouldn't have any of these troubles. But since I dont have that kind of money, I buy used.

i have 3 new kegs.. i figured with how long i will own them i wanted to get something that will last a lifetime.. everyday use is fine if there are scratches/dings especially since i know i was the one who made them so i know the history.. i've never had any issues with pressure problems.. one of them was a gift so i couldn't pass that one up :D

I have a fairly large-ish number of used kegs (~20) that I've picked up over the years. Some have been nastier to clean and recondition than others but they all work like champs at this point. That being said keg prices keep going up and up, so in the future I may resort to new kegs. (I miss my 25 dollar ball locks)

Okay, I'll play devil's advocate here. I have three used ball-lock kegs, and I sincerely wish I'd bought new. I don't care that they look like they've been run over by a truck. I honestly don't care about aesthetics. My problem is that the price of used kegs (especially ball-lock kegs) is going through the roof, and when you add shipping, we're not talking about 1/2 the price of new anymore (especially when there's a possibility of free shipping with new kegs). To complicate things, two of my kegs arrived with mix-and-match parts (poppets are incorrect, so they don't always seal properly, and there may be other mis-matched/damaged parts, since I'm have trouble getting the liquid dip tubes to seal properly inside the posts, so that I'm often pouring foam). Meanwhile, the third is a Firestone VI (the type that has a plastic gas tube). Add in the price of new parts and additional shipping and the fact that I've got to drill out the Firestone keg to use a metal gas tube, not to mention the frustration involved in working with poorly functioning tools (that is, kegs), and I'd say the cost difference between used and new is negligible and well worth the peace of mind. From now on, I'll only buy new. At least that way, I'll know that the parts will match the keg. And I'll know what the cost will be up front. I, too, am cheap, but I found out a long time ago that sometimes it's less expensive in the long run, as well as less frustrating, to spend more money on a quality tool up front.

'Just my perspective, based on my experience. It looks like other folks have had better luck with their used kegs than I have.

With current used ball lock prices being insane, a new keg has been a no brainer for me. I just ordered a new keg for a $104 from keg connection which may seem steep but not if you need to throw parts at a used keg you just bought for $60-70 not including shipping. All of my used kegs that I have bought in the last few months have needed multiple new parts including poppets, o-rings and prv's. A pair of poppets usually run $6-8, o-rings about $3, and prv's are about 7 bucks. So that's $16-18 added to your cost not including shipping.

I bought online so I had to pay shipping for the keg. Then had to pay shipping again for the parts that were needed since there is no way of knowing what brand of keg you will get. It's pretty easy to have upwards of $90-100 wrapped up in a used keg when all is said and done. Obviously, everyone's experiences will vary and it certainly can be cheaper if you source kegs locally. But given the current shortage and prices, I'll gladly pay the extra for brand new.

It makes no sense to me to sell a perfectly serviceable used keg to finance new ones. No sense at all.

Many of the kegs we use could be as much as 60+ years old, but if they hold pressure they're essentially good as new and likely to outlive the owner.

Any owner...

Cheers!

So I'm expanding my kegs. Up until now, I've only used pre owned kegs. I've come across some new kegs for sale, but they are twice as much. Is it worth it? I'm curious to hear some pros and cons.

Roed Haus Brewery

I have 9 kegs. All were purchased used. Mostly Pepsi Cola kegs. I've had them for quite a few years and have had no problems with them. Of course, I kegged for a couple of years, then stopped brewing for a year or so. Bottled for about 8 months after I started back up, and have been using my kegs again for about 4 months.

I've replaced o-rings several times, and a couple of smaller pieces, but they're made extremely well and I just don't see any reason to replace any of them just yet.

Having said that... buy what you feel comfortable with. They'll be your kegs. I have no problem buying used kegs - if you can still get them. But I'd buy new ones if I needed any more and couldn't find any used ones.

It makes no sense to me to sell a perfectly serviceable used keg to finance new ones. No sense at all.

Many of the kegs we use could be as much as 60+ years old, but if they hold pressure they're essentially good as new and likely to outlive the owner.

Any owner...

Cheers!

It makes sense to me if its what I want. Having mixed matched, dented, rubber coming off kegs annoys me. So for about 550.00 to have all new matching kegs will make me happy. There was also no reason I need to buy Belgian bottles since I had 12 oz and 22 oz bottles but I liked the look so I spent the money.

I just bought a brand new keg via one of the sponsors here and it was $85 with shipping. Now for a brand new keg that's cheap, but the only reason why it was that cheap is because they had labeled them less than perfect with some minor cosmetic imperfections.

Was it worth it? Yes and no. It ultimately does the same job as the others that were used, but it's so shinnnnnnnnnnnnnnny. Not to mention all the seals were tighter. But for me, a used keg was at the cheapest $69 plus tax so it was worth the extra $15 or so for a brand new one.

Pros, nice new keg.
Cons, Double the price, have to worry about scratching denting nice new keg.

I started buying new kegs but look at it this way I paid about 30 for the used ones can sell them for about 50. So that's 20 off my new keg coming to 80 for a new one vs. 55-60 for a used one now. You'll have them for the rest of your life, so if you do have the money I'd say buy new.

Agreed. I have 3 used and 3 new. The new ones seal with out issues and I have a couple used ones that are a pain to seal. Maybe I should sell them for $50 and buy some more new ones. They are something you will have for the rest of your life. But the only annoying thing I've found with the new ones is they don't have removable poppets. I don't understand why.

I just bought a brand new keg via one of the sponsors here and it was $85 with shipping. Now for a brand new keg that's cheap, but the only reason why it was that cheap is because they had labeled them less than perfect with some minor cosmetic imperfections.

Was it worth it? Yes and no. It ultimately does the same job as the others that were used, but it's so shinnnnnnnnnnnnnnny. Not to mention all the seals were tighter. But for me, a used keg was at the cheapest $69 plus tax so it was worth the extra $15 or so for a brand new one.
Which retailer?

I think if the difference is $20 +/- then I would just buy new. To pay just below what new runs is silly. If the difference is more than that then I stop to pause. I haven't seen new kegs sell for under $100 which means my price difference has been about $40 in today's market.

I have all used kegs not gone to the new ones yet. One thing I will say is that I will never buy used kegs online again. I bought 4 kegs online and the other 6 from CL. The 4 kegs were in way worse shape than the ones I got on CL and after shipping and handling weren't all that cheaper than new. The ones off CL were from a guy who's dad worked at coke and would take 2 or so home a week. They were in perfect condition and as good as new. I even got to pick and choose the ones that looked in the best shape. Plus these were 20 bucks cheaper than anything online and no shipping costs. I will not buy used online again I want to at least see what im buying before I do when it comes to kegs. Just my 2 cents.

kf

Which retailer?

I think if the difference is $20 +/- then I would just buy new. To pay just below what new runs is silly. If the difference is more than that then I stop to pause. I haven't seen new kegs sell for under $100 which means my price difference has been about $40 in today's market.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/new-5-gallon-ball-lock-kegs-class-2s-stock-440809/

here is the link for the vendor on here. $67 and some change + shipping. For me it came to $85 and I live in Southern Cali.

Thanks for all the replies! I went used and gave my LHBS some business. 65 for a used keg with new O rings. Not cheap, but I supported a local retailer. Soaking the parts as we speak. Cheers!

Roed Haus Brewery

I've bought 8 used kegs, prices varied from 30-50 dollars. Most off CL and they were local pickup. As homebrewing becomes more popular corny keg prices increase. I'd say if in your particular area of the country you find a good deal on used cornies in half decent shape..ie, they hold pressure, buy them first. Eventually the good deals will be mostly gone. Maybe they are mostly gone, but there are still a few treasures if you're patient.

I have bought all 4 of mine from CL listings. $70 for one pair and $80 for the other. I replaced poppets and o-rings in one of them after I kegged a Sour Ale, but they have been great buys so far. Even reconditioned ones from the LHBS are $80 + tax each. I scour CL every couple of days in hopes of finding a few more.

Back