new old chest freezer with less than pleasant smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decoleur

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I got rid of the table saw that I kept in my kitchen in trade to my neighbor for a chest freezer. it is a 15 foot deep chest freezer that looks to be from 1979. I kept it in the garage for years and on my last move brought it into the basement. when i started thinking about controlling fermentation temp and kegging this was the free choice, but when I last put it through a defrost cycle to get it all cleaned out. I noticed that it had some awesome smells to it, kind of an old camping tent smell. I also had quite a bit of water that drained out of the door when I opened it. I put a bleach solution it a misting squirt bottle and thoroughly sprayed everywhere and let it air dry open. Then I closed it up with a temp controller and the smell has come back.

Is this going to cause problems for fermentation? I am probably not motivated to put cornies with picnic taps in there with the smell for fear of contamination.

Thanks for your thoughts!

-decoleur

Try putting a coffee filter with 2 tablespoonss of unused coffee grounds in it for a while. When I drove a truck I pulled refridgerated trailers and often hauled pallets of fresh onions and onions made the trailer smell. I used to put a package of coffee in the back and close the doors,and the smell was gone by the time I made my pickup for a load back.

I had to replace the insulation in the lid of my yard sale freezer to get rid of all odors.

I am having the same issue with my freezer that I found on CL. I too have scrubbed the whole freezer, and sprayed it will a bleach mixture. It seems to have worked on the chest part of the freezer, but I noticed a smell as I was bringing the lid in. SWMBO confirmed that there is a smell coming from the lid (Honey, does this smell??-sucker).
I figure that it is the insulation as well and will be trying to replace that this week. I will let you know how it works.

How do you open the lid to replace the insulation? I am not seeing an easy way to open it that is not destructive. Let us know how it works out.

I have coffee going and backing soda with a dehumidifier in there. still kind of odoriferous when it gets above 55.

-decoleur

Charcoal will absorb many odors. Just put a few pieces in a paper bag, and put it in the freezer. Shut the lid and let it sit for a day.

How did you do that. Mine doesn't appear to have a way to take it apart.

I just did mine and it was very easy:

First, I took the door off to make it much easier to work with. Then I pulled back the seal and see how it is attached.
20140806_231035[1].jpg

Once I saw how this was attached, I just slid a flathead screwdriver between seal and the top of the door. These just popped loose. I just kept sliding and popping until it was off. Other freezers are sure to have different fasteners, but the process should be similar.

20140806_231053[1].jpg

20140806_231023[1].jpg

20140806_231551[1].jpg

Once it was apart, I put gloves on, rolled the insulation up and threw it out. I then sprayed everything down with a 20% bleach solution, and will finish cleaning it up tomorrow.

I know that not all freezers are put together the same way, but it might help you get pointed in the right direction.

By the way, I have a very poor sense of smell, but the stench that presented itself while I was opening this u[ was pretty strong. I might also suggest a dust mask or ventilator of some sort until you get that old nasty insulation into the trash.

those pictures are worth at least a thousand words. now what are you going to fill the lid with to replace the old insulation?

those pictures are worth at least a thousand words. now what are you going to fill the lid with to replace the old insulation?

New insulation?

:D

If you don't want to go with fiberglass, there are a variety of rigid products that can do the job.

I haven't decided yet. I can get more of same kind of fiberglass insulation at lowes for a few bucks, but I don't want to have to do this again. So I am thinking that I will go with some form of Styrofoam board.

Charcoal will absorb many odors. Just put a few pieces in a paper bag, and put it in the freezer. Shut the lid and let it sit for a day.

^^^^^^^
This. Some charcoal of the non "match light" variety.

I have put it in a pan, ( more than a few pieces, myself), and closed the unit with a small fan within, ( muffin fan works well), and left it a few days.

Works well. No need to spend the bucks for "activated charcoal".

Sorry, I haven't had time to finish yet. I found some 3/4 inch thick Styrofoam sheets at lowes for $6 that I will hopefully get put in this weekend as long as SWMBO doesn't give me too many tasks on my list.
Pics to come.

I meant, have you been working on the smell issue, whilst it's sittin' there, not being worked on..............:D

I know how them "Honey Do" tasks get in the way!......;)

The smell has all but disappeared. I haven't got to do the final cleaning of the inside of the lid but I haven't smelled anything. I am convinced that the insulation was the source of the odor.

Back