New MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Dog Brewing

Reaction score
OK just getting into AG and getting ready to make my MLT out of a cooler. Now I have been looking and researching about them and I have read that you loose a little temperature during the 60 minute rest. Well my question is should I spend a little extra money and get say ax Xtreme 5 day cooler for $45 that supposedly hold in temperature better than a normal colman chest cooler that is $32? Is it worth it does or will it help?

BMW-LBD

Usually, the more expensive/better coolers have insulation in the lid. Remember, coolers are built for cold not heat so they don't take into account heat loss from rising heat. If you buy the cheaper one drill a hole in the plastic lid and use spray foam insulation to fill it. Coolers are still the best premade tuns I have ever seen.

Opinions vary on this topic. Some love the "extreme" coolers and swear by them. Others have great success w/ a $17 Rubbermaid 48qt.

Sorry this is such a non answer, just an observation.

If a high end cooler gives you satisfaction, well then go for it. If your lookin to be thrifty, that will work also.

I kinda think a large 60qt rectangular extrreme cooler is kinda silly for someone lookin to do basic 5 gal batches.

If you can get one of these at H Depot for 16 bucks (see link below), its a steal! Or if you
can get the 5 gal. for 7 bucks thats fine also for med. grav. 5 gal. batches.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=55945

I have one of those 5-day coolers. Honestly, for such short periods of time, I don't think it's going to make a big difference. I think having a snug fitting lid might be more important than a little extra insulation in the sidewalls or lid. Regardless, good luck with whatever you end up using.

pre-heat your MLT with the hottest tap water you can get. then dump that into a bucket (use it for cleanup later), and add the strike water to the MLT, and then stir in your grain bill.

minimizes the cooler from sinking a lot of the heat.

I lose 9-10 degrees doughing in my 5gallon MLT, and more like 14 degrees with my 10gallon MLT

the 10 gallon loses more heat during the 60 minute rest, due to more headspace. the 5gal loses 1-2 degrees tops.

I mostly use the 5gal since I don't make real big beers. but i have the 10gal for when I do :)

Back