New MLT build questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MirImage

Reaction score
I have an old igloo cooler I converted into a cpvc manifold. It has slits cut on the bottom.

I tested it by putting hot water in the cooler. I let it sit about a minute and it read 160 degrees I then waited 1 hours and took a temp and it read 154 degrees. Ambient temp is 75 degrees. This seems like this is a huge drop.

Did I not leave my cooler long enough to equalize temp?

Also is 1.75 gallons a lot of dead space?

The key is how hot was the water and cooler to start. I put 170 degree water in my cooler to get it to equalize at 152 degrees. So, is that drop huge? Not necessarily. Give it 5 minutes to equalize and take your first reading. Then take your second reading and see what the drop is. My Rubbermaid 10 gallon cooler doesn't even lose a degree in an hour with a full grain bill.

OK I think it was about 170 when I put it in. I mixed it a bit but probably didn't leave it long enough to equalize.

Thoughts on dead space? Does it really matter?

Just realised I would probably have a lot less dead space if I attached a hose to create a suction. I apologize for the questions before thinking more about the solution. Cheers.

Just realised I would probably have a lot less dead space if I attached a hose to create a suction. I apologize for the questions before thinking more about the solution. Cheers.

I have a friend who doesn't have a tube connected to his ball valve- he just tips his cooler. That doesn't work for me at all, so I have a tube connected. Try it both ways, and see what works best for you!

Yeah, dead space won't affect the temperature, just make it hard to get all the wort out. I tip the cooler, but really only have a quart of dead space at most.

Now, lots of head space can affect the temperature drop, but if you use Beersmith, it will do a great job of calculating the strike temp to get your final mash. I'm amazed every time how well that software works.

Thanks guys. I am brewing my 1st AG on Monday and I am not "Relaxing and not worrying". I will mention how it goes after brew day. Cheers.

Back