New member second brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumone

Reaction score
Greetings! Just wanted to introduce my self, my names jeff and for my 21st birthday my father (who has been brewing for many many years) helped me make my first brew! Flash forward 2 years, I'm finally out of college and starting my own personal brews with a basic kit my father gave me.I started my second batch yesterday, a true brew blegin ale kit!

Fallowing some advice here I steeped the grains in 1 1/2 gallons and then added a additional gallon to the pot for brewing. Other then that I fallowed the recipe exactly and after an ice bath i ended up with a final COG at 1.058. With in 5 hours in the primary (big 5 gallon bucket) the air lock had blown all of its water and was filled with krausen.

Not knowing about blow off tubes I just left it loosely capped over night. Its good i did, at some point it pushed the cap off and covered the air lock in krausen. I'm diffidently going to get a pice of tubing to fit over the center of the 3 piece air lock for my next brew. But im happy to report that after cleaning every thing off I have had no more issues today! I just hope nothing contaminated the beer while the air lock was open last night....

Any way I'm glad to have found this forum and I look forward to making some grate beer with your help!

With the FV full of CO2 and more being produced (hence the blow off) you will be fine. wait, bottle, wait some more and enjoy :D

Back