New Member First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas_Red

Reaction score
I got a brewing kit for Christmas so I jumped right in and started my first batch. I got a True Brew Bavarian Hefeweizen kit that I used.

I really wish I would have read on the forums a bunch before I started, but hopefully I didnt screw it up too bad.

The only big thing I did that I would correct next time would be that I topped off the water in the primary straight from the tap. It was probably 1.5 - 2 gallons of water. I know to boil it next time or buy bottled water. We will have to see how much the chlorine affects the beer.

Other than that, I think I did pretty good. I brewed last Saturday and it started bubbling that night. As of this morning, it looks to be slowing down.

My only real question has to do with fermentation temps. I live in Texas, and luckily it has been very cool here. I have my house at about 69, and I put the beer in the coldest closet in the house. It is probably around 65 in there. But my stick on thermometer shows the beer at 68 witch is not in the ideal fermentation temp range for ale. How critical is the temp? What will it affect?

Welcome!

The reason the temp is higher in the fermenter is because of the bioreaction from the yeast eating the sugars so the it will most likely always be higher than the outside temperature. I live in SoCal and deal with temperature issues a lot as well but I would say you are ok in this instance.

What was the temp when you pitched the yeast?

Welcome to the hobby! You don't need to be too concerned about ales fermenting in the high 60's. It does depend on what yeast you used to some extent but most ale yeasts will do just fine at that temperature. There are even ale yeasts out there that prefer the mid 70's, believe it or not.

But to answer your question directly, temperature is fairly important; if the temp is too high, you will get off flavors from esters that develop as by products of the fermentation. Too low and the yeast can go dormant and your fermentation will stall.

Welcome!

The reason the temp is higher in the fermenter is because of the bioreaction from the yeast eating the sugars so the it will most likely always be higher than the outside temperature. I live in SoCal and deal with temperature issues a lot as well but I would say you are ok in this instance.

What was the temp when you pitched the yeast?

Thats one of the things I need to improve on as well. I didnt have a thermometer at the time but will have one for my next batch. I cooled the wort in a ice bath in the sink. It took a little longer than I would have liked because I started running out of ice. But Im guessing it was about 90 or 100 when I put it in the fermenter and added the rest of the water. So that should have brought it down close to the correct temp. But I will have a thermometer for the next batch.

Temp will be key. It should be down around 68 degrees when you pitch. Even with the added water I would say it was too high, but don't fret the beer will be fine.

Welcome to the club! My first kit was a X-Mas gift too and I was hooked.

Fermentation temps rise during peak fermentation. I ferment with ale yeast in low to mid 60s. Temps always raise 3-5 degrees higher than room temp due to yeast friction giving off heat when they do their thing. You should be fine with where your temps are at.

As far as "topping" off your fermenter. I'd buy a gallon or two of Spring Water from the grocery and keep it unopened in the refrigerator. When you go to top off your fermenter, this will help bring down your temps much quicker. I still sometimes do this in the middle of summer when my wort chiller takes forever to cool my wort down. I also do this in the frigid ass winter when I can't hook my hose up outside for my wort chiller and I'm forced to make beer on my stove top (like old times) and cool wort in sink. You'll learn that the faster you cool your wort, the better!

Like you and I'm sure lots of other folks, my first beer was this year after a Christmas Gift from my wife. I made a couple of small mistakes, but just sampled my beer tonight when I checked the FG. It's an American Pale Ale, and it was delicious! I'm already hooked and have ordered everything I need to make a mash tun and start all grain brewing.

There is a lot of great advice on here from some helpful folks, so read up. Welcome to the club, relax, have a beer until your homebrew is ready, and enjoy! :mug:

Maybe I'm lucky but I've always just topped off from the tap and my beer is good. A buddy buys the bottled water and it tastes no better.

What I've noticed as far as an off flavor has only been from dry yeast. Mainly S05. Also muntons. Nasty peachiness.

Fermentation temps are very important but they are part of the learning curve. You appear to have been blessed with a good temperament for brewing. No need to freak out about everything at once. Nail down one or two aspects at a time and you'll be brewing top notch beer in no time. Welcome to the club!

Hello Texas Red,

I am in the same boat. First brew ever was started 01/01 from a Christmas present. I was pretty worried about all the mistakes I made but, Yesterday I moved my brew from primary to secondary and took a SG reading. I sampled the it thinking it would be horrid only to find it was pretty good tasting! I am so happy and I am sure you will be as well!

I live in H-town as well and would like to brew in the summer so, I am looking for an old freezer I can use as a fermentation chamber.

You are probably like me, you have a few things to change and make better on batch number two!

Cheers!
Brian

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. Makes me feel much better. Even as Im sure this wont be my first or my best batch, Im sure I will enjoy drinking it since I made it myself.

Latest posts

Back