New member and new to breaking!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jongrill

Reaction score
Hello! I wanted to introduce myself to the community. I found out about this community through my local bottle shop in Lakewood, NJ. One of the employees home brews and when I told him I just bought a beginners kit, he became very excited and the first thing that came out of his mouth was "GO ON HOMEBREWTALK.COM"

So here I am. Ready to take on my first real brew kit (I dabbled with a Mr. Beer once. It came out tasting like apple juice.).

I ordered a Northern Brewer One Gallon kit with the White House Honey Porter. I figured the one gallon kits would suffice for me to start. I really do not have the room for five gallons of beer and when I discovered beer recipes are scaleable it seems like the right way to go.

Along with the kit I ordered a few extra things that I think would help me:

- ProAccurate digital thermometer
- Cacao nibs for the honey porter - I like to experiment!
- 2 gallon bucket and spigot for bottling - I heard it was easier to bottle from a bucket than a siphon from the fermenting jug

I also ordered a second recipe (Caribou Slobber) and an extra one gallon fermentor because I'm not one to wait and wanted to make a second brew while waiting for the first one.

Anything else you all think I need or is everything that comes with the kit sufficient to start with?

Thanks!

Jon

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Wow... Go me. I spelled the title of the thread wrong. Oops! Sorry
Hahaha, I thought you were a victim of "autocorrect". Turns out, no. I could fix it for you, but I'm too busy chuckling!

Anyway, sounds like you've got it under control. I'm not sure about cocoa nibs in a porter, (doesn't sound very good to me) but the rest sounds just fine.

I haven't tried the one gallon kits, but I know their five gallon kits come with great instructions and their ingredients are good quality and fresh, so you should be all set!

beergolf

Reaction score
Wow... Go me. I spelled the title of the thread wrong. Oops! Sorry
I wondered what you were breaking. There are long threads about breaking hydrometers and carboys.....

But then I figured it might just be an autocorrect problem.

Welcome to the forum and the woderful hobby/addiction of brewing.

vetbrewer

Reaction score
Welcome to here:mug: you could also get a 5gal. kit and divide it in half. Thats what I do.

berrywise

Reaction score
I only viewed this thread because I thought it would involve break dancing.

OP
J

jongrill

Reaction score
Yooper said:
Hahaha, I thought you were a victim of "autocorrect". Turns out, no. I could fix it for you, but I'm too busy chuckling!

Anyway, sounds like you've got it under control. I'm not sure about cocoa nibs in a porter, (doesn't sound very good to me) but the rest sounds just fine.

I haven't tried the one gallon kits, but I know their five gallon kits come with great instructions and their ingredients are good quality and fresh, so you should be all set!

Glad I gave you a laugh! The nibs were bought because I needed to finish up a gift certificate. Ill use them for something.

I've heard similar about the instructions that's why I went with one. I need detailed instructions. I'm more of a visual learner so the more detailed the better!!

OP
J

jongrill

Reaction score
beergolf said:
I wondered what you were breaking. There are long threads about breaking hydrometers and carboys.....

But then I figured it might just be an autocorrect problem.

Welcome to the forum and the woderful hobby/addiction of brewing.
Thanks! I'm sure ill break something!!