New mead brewer here - Advice needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raul Serrano

Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my first time brewing mead with the honey my family harvest.
So, for starters I used Red Star Premier Cuveé yeast, I looked up and it will create a dry mead. if mead is in someway like wine, I prefer my mead and wine dry, not sweet, but do you have any suggestion regarding the use of certain yeast? What's your favorite?

I also used a 1 gallon container (you know, the standard one everyone has at home), but I'm not sure how to rack it, any tips? If I manually pour the mead to another container for secondary fermentation and enters in contact with oxygen will it go bad?

Last question, I used raisins as yeast nutrient because that is what I saw on the internet, is this an actual good idea or just a myth? I think mead can absorb some of the raisins flavor. I'm not sure if that is a good thing.

Hope you guys can help me.

I’m very new to this myself, but I’d highly recommend getting a racking cane. It makes siphoning the wine safe and effortless. Then at the end, a wand attachment makes bottling or racking into multiple containers very easy without spilling. Sucking on the end of the tubing is very risky. you’ll contaminate your product and prob end up with a mouth full of very yeasty/young wine.
Some will argue, but If your unable to get proper nutrients, fruits can provide some, https://www.denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Nutrient-fruit/
Other than some nutrients, raisins and such are said to add some flavor/body to a drink.

As explained to me just recently by another forum member, it's a myth that raisins provide nutrients. I know you've read otherwise, because I've read it too, but if you look into it further, you'll find that it's a myth, and no one any longer believes it. Unfortunately, because so much was written about it in earlier days, it's an entrenched myth that just won't die.

Thanks a lot, I looked up the racking cane and I'll get one ASAP.
Regarding raisins, so sad to hear they doesn't work as a proper nutrients.

Do you recommend any nutrient brand?

As explained to me just recently by another forum member, it's a myth that raisins provide nutrients. I know you've read otherwise, because I've read it too, but if you look into it further, you'll find that it's a myth, and no one any longer believes it. Unfortunately, because so much was written about it in earlier days, it's an entrenched myth that just won't die.

Thanks for your reply. =)
Which nutrient would you recommend instead of raisins?

Thanks for your reply. =)
Which nutrient would you recommend instead of raisins?

Fermaid-O is the currently preferred nutrient (most modern protocol). It's a Scott Labs / Lalemand product. And besides the racking cane, you should have an auto siphon (small size for 1 gallon jugs) and you definitely need a hydrometer and test vial.

If you are new to mead I would recommend trying JAOM: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/joes-ancient-orange-mead.49106/

If you like it then you can unlearn everything that recipe teaches you and getting into making "real" traditional mead.

Although if your honey is free (woot woot) maybe just jump into the Deep End.

As far as nutes i would look up TOSNA 2.0 protocol (which works with Fermaid O yeast nutrient I think).

These are a couple places to start.

If you are new to mead I would recommend trying JAOM: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/joes-ancient-orange-mead.49106/

If you like it then you can unlearn everything that recipe teaches you and getting into making "real" traditional mead.

Although if your honey is free (woot woot) maybe just jump into the Deep End.

As far as nutes i would look up TOSNA 2.0 protocol (which works with Fermaid O yeast nutrient I think).

These are a couple places to start.

Awesome, thanks. I'll check out the link.
I really appreciate your help.

Best,

Raúl

I would pass on the JAOM for now. I’m still trying to unlearn some things.
Ymmv
Cheers

Back