New Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splat

Reaction score
Im hoping you all can put my mind at ease...I built a new Mash Tun out of a cooler like many of you all have, stainless steel braid, brass ball valve, etc... I couldnt decide on rectangle, or round....Or decide on the size... I wanted a bigger one so I could move to 10 gallon batches if I decide....So I got a coleman extreme rectangle cooler, that is a 62qt cooler...Did I do ok, or should I make it a camping cooler, and get something different?

That's a very popular cooler, and great for 10 gal batches. Assuming you are batch sparging, I am sure you will really like it. Congrats.

Got any pics to share?

Its not too big? What about grain bed depth? Ill take some pics of the tun tonight and post them....

Thanks for the help...

If you are batch sparging, grain bed depth isn't such an issue. It just needs to be deep enough that you get a reasonably clear recirculation, which is generally fairly easy to do with a SS braid.

Ya, it would help :) Maybe rub my shoulders and tell me everything is going to be alright...:D

Flyguy, I'll let you be the first one to rub his shoulders, I am NOT touching that one.

Ok, Im calm and I took a couple pics while I was testing for leaks in the kitchen...

P1010056.JPG

P1010057.JPG

P1010058.JPG

probably going to change the output nipple size from 1/4 inch to 3/8, or 1/2inch...comes out really slow out of the 1/4"....what size you guys use?

I use 3/8 copper through the rubber stopper bulkhead fitting connecting to 1/2" pvc.No flow problems.I love the cooler for sure,super insulated.
DSCN0115.jpg

Cheers

Onescalerguy said:
I use 3/8 copper through the rubber stopper bulkhead fitting connecting to 1/2" pvc.No flow problems.I love the cooler for sure,super insulated.
DSCN0115.jpg

Cheers

is yours a 62 quart also? You do 5 or 10 gallon batches with it?

Onescalerguy said:
DSCN0115.jpg

Cheers

Got any pictures of your manifold inside the tun?

have you done any 5 gallon batches with it??? Im hoping to do 5 gal batches at first, and maybe do 10 later...Oh, my stainless braid wants to float just a little, whats up with that?

Here's a quick picture.I'm brewing tomorrow so i'll try to remember to snap a photo of it in place.It happened to be in the house and the tun is out in the garage.
DSCN0122.jpg

And you'll do fine doing 5 gallon batches in it.

Onescalerguy said:
Oh,btw,i have ss springs inside the braid to keep it from collapsing.I don't have a floating problem.

great idea on the springs....Another trip to HD for me...Just have to find some that will fit...thanks for the tip, and that will help it sink also....Cant wait to make my first batch, just need to get my keg drilled and get a coupler welded on, and buy a wort chiller...Maybe in two weekends from now I can brew my first all grain.

Since you are running to HD, do yourself a favor and pick up a sheet of the insulation board (that pink or blue stuff). Since you are planning to start with 5 gallon brews in that big tun, you will benifit by putting a piece over the mash to control heat loss. Someone else here came up with this and it works great for me.

Back