New mash tun: false bottom or manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seawolf

Reaction score
I would like to hear some opinions about both methods of wort filtration. I currently have a copper manifold in my 5 gallon cooler, but I really need to get a biger mash tun. So, while I'm in the market for a new tun, I figured I would look into all of my options. Tell me about your experiences with both!

Thanks,
Zach

I use a SS braided hose and it works great. Never used a manifold of false bottom so I don't know.

They all work. Just pick one and go with it. There are actually several threads on this topic if you do a little search.

I use a stainless steel braid too. The only time I've ever had a problem was after the first 2-3 times I used it it started to wear out and the sparge would get stuck. I'd take the braid off, cut the end off, put it back on and it would work well again for the next 2-3 batches and then it would wear out near the connection again. Finally, I just tied a knot in the braid so that there isn't a long piece sticking out to get pulled about and that fixed it right up - hasn't gotten stuck sense.

Ahh but the all-important question hasn't been asked! Batch or fly sparge? This will help narrow down appropriate separation mediums for your application.

+1

the way you sparge will sway my answer too. not that you can't use a manifold for fly sparging or a false bottom for batch sparging...but the pros and cons change a little.

Then your best option is a round tun with a false bottom, followed by a round tun with a well-distributed manifold or braid ring. I converted a keg for my MLT and use a full false bottom. I direct-fire and use recirculation. Works great.

I tried both, batch sparge with a S.S. braid, sucked for me big time. Next CPVC manifold and fly sparge Oh yeah now this works very well for me. I built it according to Palmers book.

My old tun is a 5 gallon round cooler with a copper manifold. It really worked well for me, but it's time to upgrade. Thanks for all of the input! I'm gonna go with the false bottom/10 gallon round cooler setup.

Back