new march pump noise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
any comments on this one - bought new march pump from big name supply company and when plug it in makes incredibly painful high pithced noise and then will occassionally quiet down to its normal hum sound with fan etc.. any suggestions?? can these pumps ever run dry??

DOH, it uses fluid to lubricate... dont run it dry! :D

It is SCREAMING for fluid to lubricate the impeller

You should really search on this forum about this pump. There's a lot to it that I won't mention here. It doesn't work like a normal pump, and requires special handling. Once you figure it out, it's pretty easy to use.

So these are best installed below their source??

I do know that you never restrict the suction side... IE. install the ball valve on the discharge side.

Stile, cmon...

Not BEST installed below the source, they ONLY work below the source.

I've just see several posts in the past about people installing these above the source...... Of course in hind sight, these people were probably asking about why their pumps wern't working...........

On a side note, i'm going 1/2 inch on all my tubing and fittings. Of course as pretty as SS is, i'm going brass. Pump is still in the box.... and to think i was going to just plug it in to hear the pretty noise. ;)

1/2" is good... good idea, I should have thought of it first!

Yeah, the pump is not self priming, and needs liquid for lube... :D

Back