New Maple wine with high SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decoleur

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I came across some very nice maple syrup at one of the local festivals and thought I would try Maple wine.

2 Gallons of Amber Syrup and 3 Gallons of spring water later I am at a SG of 1.135.

Started D-47 in 1000ml water with 100g of extra light bries DME the night before and pitched it into a well oxiginated must.

5 tsp of Super Ferment yeast nutrient in and I am wondering if the sugar level it too high to get started.

Thoughts? Can I make this work?

Thanks in Advance!

I have never used that yeast so I cannot speak for that one , but when I did my mead its starting gravity was 1.118 and I used kv-1116 which took off no problem without even making a starter

D-47 will not be able to ferment to dry with that starting SG. Just a FYI.

jensmith-

D-47 is what the LHBS recommended. What do you mean not able to ferment to dry? Do you have any recommendations?

This is my first attempt at any sort of wine.

Thanks in advance!

-t

What he's telling you is that your SG reading 1.135 will not ferment into a dry wine cause the sugar content is so high. This is fine if you like sweeter wines.

D47 should handle .110, maybe .115-.120, since it has a 14% alcohol tolerance....IF you can even get a ferment to start at that high gravity. Tricky. If you want it to ferment dry 1.000 or less you would likely want to pitch K1V-1116.

Yup. SG is kinda high for most yeast to start in. Water it down to 1.100. If you are limeted in space, take out some and set it in the fridge for topping off later, then water down whats left. Or get a rip roaring yeast starter going and use that instead of adding the yeast dry. D-47 does only have an alcahole tolerence of 14%. If you want a sweet wine with out a high abv this is a good yeast to use. D-47 makes a nice dry wine as well.
If you do not want to water down the must use either Lavin 1116 or 1118. Do make a yeast starter first to give them a head start. These yeaties will ferment dry and go to 16-18% abv.
Have fun!

Treat it like a Mead and it will be okay. Its a bit late now but for the next batch start with a lower SG and yeast nutrient and do step additons

Back