New LHBS ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wegrowhydro

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I work at a hydroponic supply store in central Ohio and recently we have decided to carry home brew supplies. The "brew and grow" model has been proven to work across the country and we figured we would give it a go.

I figure that at first we will carry the basics and hopefully move on to a wider selection. There is a full service HBS across town that carries just about everything you could need. We would like to carry enough product to be competitive, but i am leery of stocking too many perishables.

Basically I am coming here to ask your opinions, What does a LHBS "have to have" to make it worth your time to even drive there??? I realize that this answer will very from person to person based on experience, style, etc, etc. I am just looking for a ballpark opinion.

Thanks for the help and wish us luck!!!

Knowledge. Show customers you are committed to brewing great beer, and know a lot about it. Make sure all of your employees are fully knowledgable of the brewing process. I've seen a few members here whose only store is a "brew and grow" store. They treat the homebrew customers like crap and only care about the hydroponic stuff.

See I am different... I dont care what they know or presume to know. I am not there to chat. I look for a WIDE selection of QUALITY malts at affordable prices, as well as hops (no hbs can compete with hopsdirect though) and yeast.

I buy ingredients there, and now I only buy yeast there as thier malts arent that great, thier pricing sucks on everything and there are excellent online vendors.

See I am different... I dont care what they know or presume to know. I am not there to chat. I look for a WIDE selection of QUALITY malts at affordable prices, as well as hops (no hbs can compete with hopsdirect though) and yeast.

I buy ingredients there, and now I only buy yeast there as thier malts arent that great, thier pricing sucks on everything and there are excellent online vendors.

I just read so many horror stories about LHBS's that I said that. I don't want them telling me how to brew, but its good to have some good knowledge. Esp since a lot of business LHBS's get is from first time brewers.

If my LHBS had better prices on malt, I'd shop there more often. I can get malt cheaper from Ed at Brewmasterswarehouse. I use my LHBS for last minute essentials like DME, additives, specialty malt, random equipment, random draft equipment etc.

It might be a good idea to offer some extract and all grain "kits", similar to Austin Homebrew and Northern Brewer.

We just had a new store open up here in the valley.
He started out with a couple "beer kits" and some yeast, carboys and better bottles.
They just got anouther shipment of extract and basic tools, Auto Siphon, termometers,etc..

His plan is if more people start buying his stuff, He will exspand to more grains and hops.

Cool thing is he has a wish list, Write what you would like to see and they bring it in.

Hope that helps

There is a percentage of homebrewers that grow their own hops... You could do something with that considering hops can be as sensitive as marijuana.

I'm different too. I like someone who knows what they're talking about in the store and I do like to chat... with humans face-to-face, not just on online forums. I do agree that you need a wide selection of quality ingredients that are fresh (which means you have to have good turn over).

I am lucky enough to have a shop that keeps almost everything, keeps it fresh and allows you to buy how you want!!! That's one of my favorite things. I go in, build my own recipe, and then choose from one of his two mills and go home with a freshly milled grist, ready to brew a day later. If I want to buy in bulk, I can, but I'm not required to.

Again, I am lucky to have a shop that the prices always match or are slightly better than online venodrs + shipping. Online vendors are nice for some things, but I like to see how my ingredients are stored and prefer to support the local merchant.

A full selection of hops and (up to date) yeast stored cold at reasonable prices is a good start.
Having an up to date web site database that locals can browse to see what you *actually* have in stock is a big plus in my book (saves me a drive). Online ordering with local pick up option.

I've got three locals, all within a 20 minute drive. But it still ticks me off to make a trip only to find out what I wanted was out of stock.

BTW, I'm 20 minutes from LD Carlson too, but they won't sell to me. :(

It's easier to buy yeast and big equipment pieces at the LHBS than online, but buying anything else tends to be really pricy, and mine has rather limited selection. Oddly enough, I discovered their grain prices are very reasonable.

Rather than stock a lot of equipment and ingredients, I'd consider stocking basic brew kits for the first time brewer, some basic stuff (DME, yeast, etc.) and offer to place orders at a very competitive price.

I can agree with you, but you are an experienced homebrewer who needs little direction. You are the exception, not the rule. I love my LHBS because there is a great knowledge base and they really want to help.

Eric

Follow the Mr.Beer model. Lure in the beginners, as they learn they will leave for price, variety or any number of reasons. The experienced brewers here are making batches for under $10 - where's your profit in that? The noob extract brewers are blowing 30-50 per 5 gallon kit. That's where your money is at, IMHO.

-OCD

He started out with a couple "beer kits" and some yeast, carboys and better bottles.
They just got anouther shipment of extract and basic tools, Auto Siphon, termometers,etc..

His plan is if more people start buying his stuff, He will exspand to more grains and hops.

Cool thing is he has a wish list, Write what you would like to see and they bring it in.

Hope that helps
Where are you?

Thanks for all the replies :)

Hope that helps

We are starting out the same way: equipment kits, ingredient kits, books, dry yeast, extra hydrometers, thermometers, cleaners, bottles & caps, etc.

I really like the idea of the wishlist, thanks!

Follow the Mr.Beer model. Lure in the beginners, as they learn they will leave for price, variety or any number of reasons. The experienced brewers here are making batches for under $10 - where's your profit in that? The noob extract brewers are blowing 30-50 per 5 gallon kit. That's where your money is at, IMHO.

-OCD

I agree that new brewers are where the money is but I would still like to cater to the more experienced brewer as well. As luck would have it, we do very well with the growing side of the business so we don't have to sell this stuff at prices that will "keep the lights on" so to speak. So far with the stuff that we do have, its been fairly easy to keep the prices well below the other LHBS in town.

As far as online sales, the brewing and growing industries are very similar. They are both niche markets with a limited customer base. Local stores may only have 100 or so customers where as online, that number can jump into the thousands or higher. That makes it a lot easier to sell your products at a much lower margin and still run a profitable business. In these days of online shopping, It's my opinion that experience and stellar customer service are all that keep a lot of our local stores open. Especially ones that sell a very specific product or service. [/rant off] sorry :cross:

I will have to go check this place out. I live about 15 minutes away. If you guys would start stocking grains I would definitely buy there if its cheaper than the other option.

Come on down and check it out! :)

Again we don't have a whole lot of stock right now, but I'm sure I could order anything you needed at a fair price.

Oh, and we have a north side and an east side store, we are only carrying brewing supplies at the east side location right now.

Is there a shop near you already? If so, I would see what they do well and do something else. Like, if they have great prices on grain, lets say, but have nothing in the way of equipment, then bring some equipment in. Not to say you shoudln't stock grain, but you dont have to beat your brains out trying to beat their price. If you have nice equipment, you will sell the grain as well.

Carrying LME in bulk is what keeps me going back to my LHBS. I buy my hops in bulk, and I don't care much about where I get my yeast, but having it there and fresh is nice. Mainly, I don't like dealing with DME much, and they have fresh LME in bulk that I can pick up in my own containers.

We like our LHBS because they are friendly and always willing to talk about "this and that". Prices are good and the selection of everything. If they don't have something, they will look it up and order it.

Back