New lager yeast strains created

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suregork

Reaction score
As many of you are probably aware of, lager yeast or Saccharomyces pastorianus, is actually a hybrid between S. cerevisiae and the 'recently-discovered' S. eubayanus. Thanks to the availability of strains from both species, it is now possible to create new lager yeast, through the interspecific hybridization of selected strains of both parents. This is exactly what has been done at VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, where they created new lager yeast hybrids by mating a strongly flocculating ale strain sourced from a brewery in the UK with the type strain of S. eubayanus. The resulting strains fermented faster, attenuated higher, and flocculated better than both parent strains during a fermentation at 12 °C. The resulting beers had aroma profiles similar to that of the parents. The hybrids also inherited beneficial properties from the parent strains, such as maltotriose use and cold tolerance. This opens up the possibility to vastly expand the range of lager strains available to brewers (which is currently limited to basically two evolutionary groups). In theory, basically any ale strain could be hybridized to create a lager-version of it (in practice it isn’t quite that straight-forward). Also, the technique benefits from the fact that no genetic engineering is involved at all. I’m hoping to see the amount of yeast strains available to brewers increase rapidly the upcoming years :)

Here is a link to the recently published (and open access) study:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10295-015-1597-6

And a link to a short write-up on my blog (disclaimer: yes, I am involved in the study):
http://beer.suregork.com/?p=3626

Congratulations Kristoffer! I am sure we will be hearing this name quite often in the brewing future.

Exciting possibilities await! Thanks for posting this!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

awesome! this would be great for the hobby if these kind of strains ever trickled down to us.

Back