New Lager Brewer: German Pilsner Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyboy1012

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I want to brew a German Pilsner and I heard the Wyeast Bohemian Lager Yeast 2124 does well at higher temps. I plan on fermenting in my closet which is consistently 58-60 plus I plan on putting the carboy in a shallow tub with 3 inches of water covered with a t-shirt and have a small fan blowing on the carboy to really keep it cold. With all that being said, I would like to get some feed back on my recipe and process because this is my first lager.

Grist is for 5.5 gallons:
10# 9oz Weyermann Pilsner
.5# Weyermann Carafoam

Hops:
1.10oz Perle 33.8 IBUs at 60 mins
.5oz Hallertauer 2 IBUs at 15 mins
.5oz Hallertauer 1.3 IBUs at 1 min

Estimated OG is 1.049
IBUs = 37
SRM = 3.2
Estimated ABV = 5.2%
I plan to make a starter and with the Wyeast Bohemian Lager Yeast 2124 and aerating my wort with a diffusion stone.

I will most likely brew with distilled water and add gypsum and calcium chloride to get my Ca to at least 50ppm. Most likely adding more gypsum then calcium chloride to emphasize the hops. I plan on leaving in my closet in the primary for a month, then kegging and moving to my kegerator to lager for another month. Thoughts?

How does my recipe look? Any suggestions for a first time lager brewer? (besides get a fridge!) I moved to an apartment and the ambient temp of my closet has inspired me to brew a lager. Thanks guys! Cheers!

JH

At those temperatures I would suggest using a California Common (Steam Beer) yeast rather than the German lager. The recipe looks OK, you are on the high end of the IBUs but there are a couple of brands in the 40IBU range. Go easy on the gypsum. I stick to Calcium Chloride on this style.

At those temperatures I would suggest using a California Common (Steam Beer) yeast rather than the German lager. The recipe looks OK, you are on the high end of the IBUs but there are a couple of brands in the 40IBU range. Go easy on the gypsum. I stick to Calcium Chloride on this style.

Good idea, something to consider. I've read and saw on BTV that that lager strain does was at those higher temps. Hmm much to consider...

Back