Helles Bock New Kids on the Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specharka

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Oktoberfest (WY2633)
Yeast Starter
2.5L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 50F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days @ 36F
Additional Fermentation
3 day D-Rest @ 62F
Tasting Notes
Crisp, refreshing and balanced with a subtle spicy aroma
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Color: 6.4 SRM
Bitterness: 30.1 IBUs
Est OG: 1.063 (15.3° P)
Est FG: 1.014 SG (3.5° P)
ABV: 6.2%

This beer is the perfect answer for the brewer looking to make a moderately strong, malty lager with a crisp finish. I've found that many bock recipes err on the side of complexity, which results in an inappropriately cloying finish. In this venture, simplicity yielded the best results: 3 base malts, 2 hop additions, and one superb lager strain.

Ingredients

6 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) - 48%
4 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) - 32%
2 lbs 8.00 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) - 20%
2.00 oz Spalter [3.6%] - First Wort
1.00 oz Saaz [2.2%] - Boil 10 min
2 pkgs Octoberfest Lager Blend (Wyeast Labs #2633)

Dough in a thin mash, approximately 2 qt/lb. Double decoction mash with rests at 144, 156, and 168. Sparge with 180F water until preboil volume of 7G is achieved. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops as directed, as well as 1/2 tsp Irish moss @ 10 min. Chill to pitch temperatures overnight, and pitch decanted starter to wort. Ferment for 10 days @ 50F, raising temperature to 62F for 3 days thereafter. On day 14, add finings and start dropping temperature 2-3F per day until lagering temperature is achieved. Lager for at least 2 weeks, and rack to keg or bottle to 2.3 volumes.

The only water modifications I made were to add 1.2 mL/gal lactic acid to the mash and 0.8 mL/gal to the sparge to keep my mash pH within check (~5.45). As I have relatively soft water.

Results.

IMG_0110.jpg

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Color: 6.4 SRM
Bitterness: 30.1 IBUs
Est OG: 1.063 (15.3° P)
Est FG: 1.014 SG (3.5° P)
ABV: 6.2%

This beer is the perfect answer for the brewer looking to make a moderately strong, malty lager with a crisp finish. I've found that many bock recipes err on the side of complexity, which results in an inappropriately cloying finish. In this venture, simplicity yielded the best results: 3 base malts, 2 hop additions, and one superb lager strain.

Ingredients

6 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) - 48%
4 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) - 32%
2 lbs 8.00 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) - 20%
2.00 oz Spalter [3.6%] - First Wort
1.00 oz Saaz [2.2%] - Boil 10 min
2 pkgs Octoberfest Lager Blend (Wyeast Labs #2633)

Dough in a thin mash, approximately 2 qt/lb. Double decoction mash with rests at 144, 156, and 168. Sparge with 180F water until preboil volume of 7G is achieved. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops as directed, as well as 1/2 tsp Irish moss @ 10 min. Chill to pitch temperatures overnight, and pitch decanted starter to wort. Ferment for 10 days @ 50F, raising temperature to 62F for 3 days thereafter. On day 14, add finings and start dropping temperature 2-3F per day until lagering temperature is achieved. Lager for at least 2 weeks, and rack to keg or bottle to 2.3 volumes.

The only water modifications I made were to add 1.2 mL/gal lactic acid to the mash and 0.8 mL/gal to the sparge to keep my mash pH within check (~5.45). As I have relatively soft water.

Results.

Excellent recipe, thanks for sharing! I made Helles but never Helles Bock.

I wonder about substituting Spalter (which is pretty rare) for Magnum (german), or perhaps Tettnager or Saaz (Czech). Any thoughts? It's just a bittering addition and hops shouldn't be very prominent, as malt dominates, but I wonder if it makes much difference in an otherwise clean lager.

Excellent recipe, thanks for sharing! I made Helles but never Helles Bock.

I wonder about substituting Spalter (which is pretty rare) for Magnum (german), or perhaps Tettnager or Saaz (Czech). Any thoughts? It's just a bittering addition and hops shouldn't be very prominent, as malt dominates, but I wonder if it makes much difference in an otherwise clean lager.

Yeah, I think a neutral bittering hop like Magnum would complement the recipe well. Tett or Saaz would work as well. As it stands the German crops I purchased were substantially lower in alpha acids than their American counterparts for some reason, so you will want to account for the difference.

Czech Saaz has a wonderful floral and spicy aroma, just don't overdo the finishing hops and risk diminishing that awesome breadcrumb bouquet! :)

This is my next brew. Probably next week. Thx for posting. Cheers! 🍻

Back