New Kegger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smkaz37

Reaction score
Help!

I have two beers (ST Hop Sun Clone & a Pale Ale) kegged in 5 gallon ball lock corny kegs and primed with dextrates.
I have a co2 tank and regulator and the required tubing to go from the tank the keg. I have a picnic tap and the connector for the "Out" on the keg.
My questions are as follows:
-What length tubing do I need for the "out" side of the keg?
-What setting should I have my regulator at to distribute carbonated beer?
-Can I connect my co2 only when I need to pour?
-How long before I plan on drinking the beer should I put it in the fridge?

Any additional advice is welcome!

Side note: I have a 4.4cu fridge that fits one keg at a time. i do not plan on keeping the co2 and regulator in the fridge.

Help!

I have two beers (ST Hop Sun Clone & a Pale Ale) kegged in 5 gallon ball lock corny kegs and primed with dextrates.

I have a co2 tank and regulator and the required tubing to go from the tank the keg. I have a picnic tap and the connector for the "Out" on the keg.

My questions are as follows:

-What length tubing do I need for the "out" side of the keg?
I run 10' lines at 3/16"ID at 12PSI at 38F with no foaming issues

-What setting should I have my regulator at to distribute carbonated beer?
As stated above I use 12PSI and use the set and forget but I also carb with CO2. If hooking up an already carbed keg you want to set you PSI to match what the pressure the keg was carbed to as to avoid foaming from co2 coming out of solution going from higher pressure to lower pressure in the lines.

-Can I connect my co2 only when I need to pour?
You can if you prefer. But if your serving pressure is less than the carbonation pressure eventually your beer will get flatter and flatter as you dispense more glasses as you aren't replacing the same amount of pressure in the headspace of the keg as was used to carbonate the beer.

-How long before I plan on drinking the beer should I put it in the fridge?
Cold liquid absorbs CO2 better than warm. I would chill the keg down to my 38F first. If preCarbed hook up co2 get cold and enjoy. If flat and using the set and forget method it's about the same as bottle carbing 2-3weeks approx. Some will hit the keg with higher PSI for 24hrs then drop to serving pressure and have drinkable beer sooner. Really all depends on your end goals and time available.

Any additional advice is welcome!

Side note: I have a 4.4cu fridge that fits one keg at a time. i do not plan on keeping the co2 and regulator in the fridge.
Here is a good carbonation chart to compare to style guidelines for getting your carbonation set right. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404655981.846956.jpg

Sent from somewhere to someone

Back