New Jersey chicken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roylee

Reaction score
We were butchering a couple of spring chickens in the back yard yesterday afternoon and an acquaintance stopped by to watch and have a homebrew. He said what we were doing was illegal in New Jersey. Is that true? It's a crime to butcher your own chicken for your own use in NJ? Tell me the food police haven't gone that far.

We were butchering a couple of spring chickens in the back yard yesterday afternoon and an acquaintance stopped by to watch and have a homebrew. He said what we were doing was illegal in New Jersey. Is that true? It's a crime to butcher your own chicken for your own use in NJ? Tell me the food police haven't gone that far.

I grew up in rural NJ. It isn't a state law, but there are some local laws depending on your municipality that prohibit it. Most people are just discrete about it, though.

Just say you're doing it for religious reasons. Here in Ohio, we're allowed to butcher our first born as long as you're doing it for your religion! :ban:

What if you choke the chicken?? :cross:

Back