New Jeep!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedlam

Reaction score
Hey, folks,

Bought a Jeep yesterday and just HAD to share. :ban:

Of course, nothing happens unless there are pics...

first_day_small4.jpg

and....

first_day_small2.jpg

thanks for looking...now back to your already scheduled program, already in progress.

(To satisfy any obligatory brewing content laws, I'll be brewing an ESB clone for El Hubbo later on today.) :rockin:

Nice! Besides the obvious sahara package, what options did ya get?

I need to post up some pics of my gf's jeep once I've detailed it and put the mods back on it.

This thing is loaded. It's an '08 they wanted off the lot. I got crap I'd never usually even think about...Sirius radio, 'lectric windows, keyless entry, the whole bit. They only thing I really wanted was a hard top, and figured I'd just get that aftermarket, but they had this little beauty on the lot with my name on it :D I wasn't really looking to buy when we stopped in with my little Mazda 3. El Hubbo and I had discussed the possibility of getting a Jeep after several weeks of not being able to get up the driveway this winter. We'd even stopped by this dealership and talked about trading El Hubbo's truck for one, but decided against it d/t the limit on towing.

We stopped by there yesterday and they were ready to deal. Gave me a decent trade in price for the Mazda and employee pricing on the Jeep, so we decided to pull the trigger.

I did insist on manual transmission though...

you'd have been able to get up your driveway if you had a Subaru. ;)

nice looking jeep. . .especially already in its natural habitat.

I am sooooo jealous! I've been really wanting a Jeep for a long time, and hopefully will get the chance to buy one of my own sometime!

Great pictures- thanks for sharing them!

Didn't you just get a totally cool old Army truck awhile back?

I like the newer jeeps, but really wish they'd get serious about sticking a diesel in them.

Nice. I'd love to have a lifted Jeep, of course a fast car is more important, but that's a close second. I go nowhere in the snow, even if I try.

I did insist on manual transmission though...

Atta girl! :D My SWMBO knows how to drive manual even though she can no longer do it daily due to her illness...

I just bought an '06 SAAB 9-3 Aero. Pics to be posted in the what do you drive thread soon! :ban::ban:

EDIT: Geez! I almost forgot to congratulate you on your new Jeep! She's a beaut!

Didn't you just get a totally cool old Army truck awhile back?

I like the newer jeeps, but really wish they'd get serious about sticking a diesel in them.

Yes on both comments. We got a 1962 M-37 back in Aug that we are working on. Lack of a heater/defroster keeps it only a "fun" truck only in the winter. That, and it kept sucking batteries this past winter. Gonna have to track that problem down now that the weather has finally turned. Man, I can't wait until we get our shop built!

I really, really had hope that they'd flesh out the diesel line after they put a few into Jeep Liberty, but it seems to be going nowhere. sigh.

Very beautiful machine you picked up...Are you looking to lift it or anything in the future? Ive got an 05 wrangler, rolled it a few months ago(off-roading) and it went from beautiful to gorgeous....very tough little cars those jeeps.

I respectfully diagree

I meant a fast car is more important to me, but to each their own :) .

you can a fast car that goes in the snow. . .

Only ones I can think of are modified EVOs and STIs. Not a fan of EVOs but I like STIs. My car in particular goes nowhere in the snow (99 Z28, longtube headers, 3 inch catless ypipe, catback, slp intake, etc), and I have to drive slower than the most annoyingly slow grandma in the rain and I still slide around. Partially due to my tires - plenty of tread but I think the grip sucks, and they are 235's. Partially because I have lots of torque, great throttle response, 6-speed manual, aftermarket clutch, and RWD. I need some wider wheels and tires bad. Going to get 295's or 315's in the back. My car is quick, but nowhere near fast (IMO). I'll get closer after I get a decent cam, and maybe heads.

93 Wrangler YJ (Yes, with the SQUARE headlights ollllo)

Welcome to the family!

hope ur not gonna keep it that clean. a clean jeep is a neglected jeep. lock it in and don't hold back. just remember it's a jeep, not a submarine

Ok...so i"m a bit pissed! My new Jeep's tranny is screwed, royally, and I'm learning that it isn't a new problem...it kicks out of 1st gear VIOLENTLY at times and scares the bejeesus outta me. This ****'s gonna get me killed. So El Hubbo took it to the stealership this past week and they sent him packing, saying they "can't replicate the problem." WTF? How can you NOT replicate it? Just to clarify, the Jeep will go into first, then you let out on the clutch and it'll start to take off...then WHAM! the gearshift will force itself backward into neutral and leave you spinning revs...in my case, often, as I'm halfway into traffic. I read the JK Wrangler forums and have learned that this is a "known issue" with a "star advisory".

I'm planning on going Viking on them come Monday. Any advice?

Ok...so i"m a bit pissed! My new Jeep's tranny is screwed, royally, and I'm learning that it isn't a new problem...it kicks out of 1st gear VIOLENTLY at times and scares the bejeesus outta me. This ****'s gonna get me killed. So El Hubbo took it to the stealership this past week and they sent him packing, saying they "can't replicate the problem." WTF? How can you NOT replicate it? Just to clarify, the Jeep will go into first, then you let out on the clutch and it'll start to take off...then WHAM! the gearshift will force itself backward into neutral and leave you spinning revs...in my case, often, as I'm halfway into traffic. I read the JK Wrangler forums and have learned that this is a "known issue" with a "star advisory".

I'm planning on going Viking on them come Monday. Any advice?

Go in with posts from other forum. www.jeepforum.com (which is run by TxBrew/Keith) has a JK subforum where you could probably get some more guidance. I'd say print out any relevant posts from there and the other sites and show them that it is an issue. I am not sure if there is anything on there about an aftermarket fix (I have the auto transmission, so I don't have the issue).

Take no prisoners! Why don't they make a diesel Wrangler? It seems to me that is what people would want.

Word on the some of the other forums is that they will be coming out with one in late 2010. Almost makes me wish I would have waited a year or so to buy mine.

Nice Jeep. Good thing you didn't post this on a Jeep forum though. They might be on you for how clean it is. Rumor is they're 'supposed' to be dirty. I guess "its a Jeep thing".

Guys, that pic is from the first day I had it. I ASSURE you it is far from clean, now. I'm not one to be afraid of a little mud :D

El Hubbo and I had discussed the possibility of getting a Jeep after several weeks of not being able to get up the driveway this winter.

With you there, but I had to settle for an old Ram 50. Not that it helped with last year's 23" of ice and snow, but most years it will be fine.

Real 4x4s of any kind do not get washed, but you've got a couple of weeks leeway after buying to build up a patina.

Jeep update!

Well, the week before Christmas, we got about 16" of snow dumped on us. We lost power for 3 days and had one HECKUVA time getting out. It required that we carry a chainsaw, hi-lift jack, tow chains and shovels given the condition of our road. (It seemed that the local county road department had 3 plows that had either wrecked or broken down. We weren't a top priority.)

Pics:

snowy_jeep_small_1.JPG

snowy_jeep_small_2.JPG

I had longed for a winch for quite some time, (well, ever since my Jeep decided that the rear end of a Chevy HHR looked crunchy and tasty...which precipitated the upgrade to a new front bumper equipped for a winch...) and the snow storm sealed the deal!

Lookit what Santa brought me!

jeep_winch_small.JPG

It's a Warn 9.5ti! I must have been a very good girl indeed...or at least very good at being bad... :D

I have to admit I'm pretty excited. I've never had any kind of "modified" or "pimped-out" vehicle, being that my family was pretty sold on keeping things stock. I'm having a lot of fun with this. You should see my Quadratec wish list! It makes gift-giving easy for El Hubbo...he just types in my email address and wham! Effortless spousal happiness.

Need some deeper lug tires, though, that's gonna be high on the list.

Unless you do a lot of mud, big lugs suck. Bad in snow, poor life and noisy as hell. I swear by BFG ATs on my Jeep and trucks. There ain't a better snow tire in my opinion.

Sweet ride! I traded in both my Jeeps a few years ago and now want mine back. I had 4" lifts on both my Cherokee Sport and my Rangler Renegade and they were unstoppable in weather. Now we have 2 Pontiacs which are ok but I miss the adventure. The Cherokee pic is actually taken at the dealership where I traded it in and it had the small tires on it!
Renegade-1.jpg

Cherokee.jpg

Back