new issue! blackberry wine...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneTreeFarms

Reaction score
okay i started a blackberry wine on wednesday night pitched the yeast thursday, did the whole shake up till saturday at noon, when i was leaving for the day. rather than leave it out and not be able to punch the cap down for the next day and half i tossed it in the fridge till sunday night when i got home, then i sat it back out to warm up.

is this a fine practice? should i airlock the thing now? add yeast nutrient? continue punching the cap down for 2 days( to equal the 5 i was supposed to do) what should i have done?

Personally I don't sweat not punching it down for day, but you do have to worry about a build up of CO2 blowing sticking crud in the airlock and blowing it off, so normally I'll have a sanitized paper towel over the top of the carboy or bucket hole.
I think you'll be fine, it might just stress your yeast out or maybe take them some extra time to get started again.

actually as it turned out it was fine, it was only in the fridge for a day and a half, so once it sat out and got back to room temperature the yeast started eating away again. last night i slapped the airlock in so i should be good to go. I'll let everyone know how it tastes though it'll be a while, the recipe calls for this to age nearly a year.

Back