New IPA recipe- what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvoegtli

Reaction score
Help with new IPA extract recipe

Hey everyone, (sorry if this post is in the wrong forum)I am pretty new to home brewing, but I have decided to try and create a IPA(maybe IIPA) recipe use malt extract. Let me know what you all think. This is for a 5 gallon batch. I am going for a clean west coast style IPA. I do not want it to get too syrupy and sweet, but I am also concerned about it not being balanced.

Malt:
9 lbs. Light LME

Grain:
1.5 lbs. Crystal 40L
0.5 lbs. Carapils

Yeast:
Wyeast American Ale Yeast

Hops:
0.5 oz. Columbus (60min)
0.5 oz. Centennial (60min)
0.25 oz. Simcoe (30min)
0.25 oz. Citra (30min)
1.0 oz. Amarillo (0min)
0.5 oz. Amarillo (DH)
0.5 oz. Simcoe (DH)

This may be way too many different varities of hops, but just let me know.

Thanks in advance

It looks pretty good, bitterness and ABV are close. IBUs are around 40 or so.Right now you are looking at about 7.3% ABV, which is on target for what you are making. Good luck

I think 2 pounds of crystal is too much, especially with LME as the only other ingredient. I'd cut the crystal in half, or use a pound of crystal and ditch the carapils.

I've never used citra, but .25 ounce at 30 minutes will get lost in there anyway. You'd get a little bittering out of it, but no flavor or aroma from it at 30 minutes. (Simcoe, too).

If you want the bitterness, you could add the hops at 45-60 minutes. If you want flavor and aroma, you could add them with 20 minutes or less. I rarely use 30 minute additions any more, since I really don't see the point, though.

It looks pretty good, bitterness and ABV are close. IBUs are around 40 or so.Right now you are looking at about 7.3% ABV, which is on target for what you are making. Good luck

The IBUs for this recipe are only 31.7 (assuming boil size is also 5 gallons). That seems a little low to me for a 7.3% IPA.

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid IPA is about 8% ABV with an OG of 1.085 and it's IBU was in the neighborhood of 95-100, and that was still a little overly sweet for my flavor. They use hop oil extract though. Not sure if that effects IBU's or not.

Back