New IPA from Deschutes . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllHoppedUp

Reaction score
Okay, some time ago I made a post about how much I loved most Deschutes brews but that I thought their Quail Springs IPA sucked. The owners of Deschutes must undoubtedly be following my threads very closely because the Quail Springs has been pulled from the shelves and replaced with their new Inversion IPA. C'est magnifique! The hop profile is unbelievable. With some IPA's (for me anyway) I stop noticing any special distinctions after three or four beers. But with this Inversion IPA, for some reason, every time I take a drink - whether it's the first beer or the sixth - my taste buds go nuts and I'm mysteriously compelled to read the label for the umpteenth time.

They've also released a brown ale called Buzzsaw Brown which is also quite good. I'm typically go for hoppier fare, but Buzzsaw Brown will always be welcome in my fridge for those times that I feel like deviating from the flight plan.

AHU

I'll have to track some Buzzsaw Brown down. I love them. I've been intending to make a trip to Bend to sample both Bend Brewery's and Deschutes ales direct from the supplier, but my RV has been in the shop for electrical work. Have to squeeze in between snow and school's-out.

Mark over at Golden Valley finally made a Brown, I think his SWMBO had something to do with it because I certainly couldn't convince him. The first one was good, the second batch just hit the tap and is even better.

I have some of both in my fridge. The buzzsaw is very "bready" :confused: if I can use that word. It has a strong nutty toast flavor to it. The Inversion is a much better IPA than their Quail Springs, IMHO. It's very citrusy, grapefruit, as opposed to piney. Now I bought both in Southern CA, so you guys may have it much fresher than me. Someone else closer to the source please give some taste comments. :)

Brewsmith said:
I have some of both in my fridge. The buzzsaw is very "bready" :confused: if I can use that word. It has a strong nutty toast flavor to it. The Inversion is a much better IPA than their Quail Springs, IMHO. It's very citrusy, grapefruit, as opposed to piney. Now I bought both in Southern CA, so you guys may have it much fresher than me. Someone else closer to the source please give some taste comments. :)

I concur with your "citrusy, grapefruit" flavor description for the Inversion IPA. I'm not very good with technical evaluations of flavor profiles so that's why I didn't include one in my original post.

I'm curious about what kind of hops they used. I think the label says "Northwest hops" and the website says "trio of American hops". Whatever they used, it's damn good.

AHU

Back