new IM Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I just got a 50ft IM chiller never used one before and just wondering if there is anything I am missing before using it.
I have a garden hose hooked to my garage faucet that connects to the chiller and then the outport I just bought a few feet of utility hose from lowes as long as I have no leaks and the thing is clean I shouldnt have anything to worry about right? Sanitation wise?

I do want to get a longer hose for the outport in the future for watering plants and such in the yard. Just a regular garden hose ok? Or will that not handle the heat?

Not really, regular hose would probably leach a lot of lead. That and the near boiling water would be certain to kill plants and yard alike.

Just make sure it is generally free of debris, set it in the boil with the hoses already connected 15 minutes before you turn the flame out. Once the flame is out, turn the hose on full blast. I leave my stem thermometer in the boil so I can monitor the cooling progress.

If you put it in with out the hoses on and there is water in it, it will quickly begin to spit water into your wort.

Have fun

cheezydemon said:
Not really, regular hose would probably leach a lot of lead. That and the near boiling water would be certain to kill plants and yard alike.

dont plan on putting it right on the plant

forgot garden hoses have lead in it good call. I bought utility hose from lowes for now. I am pretty sure there is no lead in that

Another good idea is to capture the exhaust water in a tub of some kind, then you can use the hot water to clean the hops/trub off of the chiller after use, clean up the brew kettle, etc.

Also, don't try to test how how the water is coming out during the beginning. It will be HOT.

Back