(New?) Idea for locking out taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyjacobs

Reaction score
The two ways I know are:
a) tap locks, which are spendy and from reports don't work all that well, (if you pull, they still dispense)
b) put a lock on fridge, and pop off liquid lines each time you finish pouring a beer, (which seems like a helluva lot of work).

I figured this could help some people.

First, lock your kegerator so no one can get into it. A padlock and simple latch from Home Depot will do the trick.

Second, get yourself an ignition switch. I found this one on Ebay for just a few bucks: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Igni...379QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts#ht_4032wt_912

Then, grab one of these for each tap you have, and install it in the beer line:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-Electric-So...ultDomain_0&hash=item45f4145cc0#ht_2178wt_835

It's a 12 VDC solenoid activated valve with 1/4" NPT fittings. Attach a few barbs to it and install it inline on each beer line. These run $20 each, but that's no more than the cost of the tap locks.

Finally, grab a 12 VDC power supply....this one is 4 amps, meant for a laptop, and runs only $13, and will run 8 of those valves.
http://cgi.ebay.com/12V-DC-Power-Su...ltDomain_0&hash=item5888f4bac1#ht_3052wt_1061

Way I figure it,you install a valve in each beer line, connect them in series parallel (thanks sawdustguy) to the laptop power supply and the ignition switch, and install the ignition switch on the outside of the fridge.

When you want a beer, insert your key and turn the ignition on. All the valves open up, and all the taps are live. When you have your pours, turn off the ignition and pull your key, and all the taps go dead. Easy Peasy. What do you guys think?

YEARS ago, when the Internet was a little baby, I read a page about some guy who put a webcam on his kegerator with some facial recognition software. The kegerator would take a photo of each person as they came up to tap a pint. The system used a system similar to what you're describing to lock out people who'd had one too many as preset by the admin at the begining of the night.

I've thought about doing this same thing as I'm planning my kegerator since we have a little one (seven months old). It's only a matter of time before he's walking and grabbing tap handles.

You build it first and let me know how it works. ;)

Why not use just one valve on the CO2?

You could...but it'll still pour, (a full pint even if the keg is starting to near empty), and then the bastard pouring it will make the remaining beer go flatter due to the lower pressure in the headspace...

I have to say, that's just about THE COOLEST way to lock/unlock taps I've seen yet. wish I could afford/have the knowledge to do stuff like that!

cheers

I have to say, that's just about THE COOLEST way to lock/unlock taps I've seen yet. wish I could afford/have the knowledge to do stuff like that!

cheers

Afford I can't help you with, but knowledge-wise, this is pretty darn simple. First, you take a multimeter to your ignition switch to see which two wires have a circuit when the switch is "on" and don't have a circuit when it's "off". These are the two wires you care about. After that, it's wired like this:

QKJsJ.png

This is, for example, a 3 valve setup...more or less just tack on valves. Hell, since the valves don't care which way you hook up power to them, you don't even have to worry about which wire is positive and which one is negative as you go!

brilliant!

only problem i could see is you might have to do some test runs to see whether or not BLC or similar cleaner will eat away any internal o-rings

So I wonder how those solenoid valves will work in a beer line.. Will it cause foaming?
I think a garage door keypad w/ a timer delay relay would work nicely too.

So I wonder how those solenoid valves will work in a beer line.. Will it cause foaming?
I think a garage door keypad w/ a timer delay relay would work nicely too.

That was my main concern. The bore on my taps is 1/4" though, and that seems OK. What I'd do is place the valves as close as possible to the kegs. That way, if they cause any turbulence, there's enough line left for that turbulence to work its way out before it hits the taps.

I like the garage door idea....good way to have a programmable keycode without the need to program.

Home Automation... that's the way I'm implementing this!

I've already got the logic controller to do this and have the valves on the way. HA is another hobby of mine, so it makes perfect sense to tie this in to my existing system (HAI OmniPro II). The locking/unlocking of the valves will be controlled as a separate area of the alarm system. It sounds overkill, but everthing is already there to do it. This also then gives me the ability to lock/unlock the serving control by all the same options that I have for my HA system control: via keyfob, security keypad, iPhone app, touchtones, browser, card reader, touchscreen remote, etc.

This also allows me to apply logic conditions to the lock/unlock process:
- when unlocked, automatically re-lock in X minutes
- immediately lock if I leave the house
- immediately unlock when I enter the house

There's all kinds of options with the home automation tie-in!

Really? The first post lays out an idea with an ignition switch for a go-kart, a 12V power supply from a laptop, and some solenoid valves.

I think KISS was never involved here at all. :D

lol, well, easy unlocking KISS. The simplest is what I had in my original post, with padlocks or taplocks. I liked this though because it was still pretty simple, (no arduinos, no complex wiring/valving, something any 14 year old could wire up and plumb...), but also it seemed like the shortest time to go from locked taps to all 5 on tap, (with the possible exception of camiller's setup...).

keep a battery around so you can still drink if the power goes out. :D

lol, never thought of that. Of course, my Kegerator is in the garage, and I'm pretty sure I have a few 12V sources there. So I'll add positive and negative insulated bolts sticking through the side of the fridge. If the power goes out, I just get out my jumper cables and jump start the beer. :drunk: :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't there be enough pressure in each keg to dispense a pint or two after the solenoid shuts off the gas flow. And if those pints were pulled, you would then have flat beer.

I love the idea. Do you think that it would get gummy at all? I would imagine without being exposed to air it should be OK, but would love to hear from someone who knows.

I love the idea. Do you think that it would get gummy at all? I would imagine without being exposed to air it should be OK, but would love to hear from someone who knows.

Great question. I suppose it depends on how the valves work. I have no clue. Like I said, I have no need or funding to do this myself....I just thought it was a neat idea and wanted to share :).

I would hope there would be some decent internal sealing to prevent beer from getting into the solenoid, and since the valves are normally closed, most of the mechanism is immersed in beer, (like a perlick 425/525 tap), and wouldn't get gummed up, (unlike, say, a normal cheapo tap, which has most of the mechanism OUTSIDE the beer, so it dries out and sticks easily)...but I'm not sure.

You guys need a new circle of friends if you need to worry about locking up your beer.....never heard of this.

People stealing your stuff............................or.......put these fools on watch
suicide-bombers.jpg

Back