New hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrown9064

Reaction score
I broke my hydrometer last week while cleaning...I know, I know I should not have had it in with other stuff that could break it.

So I got a new one this week and it looked like the paper was "slid" too far down the neck. Shipping? I lightly tapped it on the counter abut 100 times until it reads 1.0 in tap water. Tap is not pure water. Thoughts? Close enough or should I calibrate in some distilled?

Thanks!

To check target gravities or mash efficiency you would want the hydrometer calibrated to 1.000 in distilled water at the correct temperature, usually 60°.

To check for final gravity of a beer you only need consistent readings to tell when fermentation is complete. If the hydrometer is really far off it may look like a stuck fermentation or over attenuation. This can cause stress and ruin the brewing experience.

I would prefer the hydrometer to be properly calibrated. If the paper scale in your hydrometer slipped out of position once, it will probably happen again. Keep distilled water handle to check the calibration often.

To check target gravities or mash efficiency you would want the hydrometer calibrated to 1.000 in distilled water at the correct temperature, usually 60°.

To check for final gravity of a beer you only need consistent readings to tell when fermentation is complete. If the hydrometer is really far off it may look like a stuck fermentation or over attenuation. This can cause stress and ruin the brewing experience.

I would prefer the hydrometer to be properly calibrated. If the paper scale in your hydrometer slipped out of position once, it will probably happen again. Keep distilled water handle to check the calibration often.

Yep, that is what I did. "Recalibrated" it with distilled water. Took a lot of tapping to get it to 1.000, So I think it will be OK. Must have really take a hit in shipping to get off like that. But all seems well now.

thanks!

If ya ever seen behind the closed doors of most all shipping facilities you would be more surprised it arrived in one piece.

Latest posts

Back