New House Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing this nice light beer tonight using some leftover hops:

6 lbs British 2-row
2 lbs Munich
0.5 lbs Crystal
0.5 lbs Wheat Malt
0.1 lbs Chocolate

1 oz fuggle @ 60 minutes
0.5 oz fuggle @ 30 minutes
1 oz saaz @ 10 minutes

single infusion mash @ 150 F

nottingham yeast

I've been meaning to make a house ale for a while. I was looking at EdWorts recipe, but i'm just not into cascade.

Any comments would be much appreciated

:mug:

yeah, i love the taste of munich, but didn't want this to be too malty. i was thinking that would make it a little more crisp. do you think that's to low? maybe unneccessary with all that 2-row?

i won't have the recipe really down until i get home. i want this to be a pretty light beer, maybe 4-4.5%, so i will reduce the 2-row after i make my calculations in promash. this is just what i'm buying today, just in case.

I personally wouldn't go below 152F for anything that's not Belgian. Its your beer though, that's the beauty of all this...:mug:

it probably would be too dry...most belgians also have the sugar to lighten the beer.

we'll see how the brew session goes...i'm not that efficient at hittin my mash temp yet, anyway :D

cheers :mug:

Yeah let us know. I have mashed even down to 148 on one recipe. Sometimes dryness works very well depending on the other ingredients. However.....with the Nottingham + the lower mash temp this will compound the result. Also, I find it easier to overshoot the mash temp and then lower it with cold tap water, so I try to make sure my strike temp errs on the side of too hot. It's much easier than trying to boil water and add it. Even a small amount can quickly drop you down a degree or two.

yeah...hitting that temp is hard. my last AG turned out perfect...i've found i lose about 3*F putting the water in the preheated MT, then i lose another 6*F with the grains...but that was a big batch, so this one will probably be different.

does anyone know where i can find a formula for this that works? if i could add that to my spreadsheet, it would really make things easier!

Back