New Hop! Meridian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers77

Vendor
Reaction score
New hop is in! It is the 2012 Meridian hop and it is on sale now at Farmhouse Brewing Supply!

Current AA__6.7% more info...

One brewer has used it in a single hop lager beer, which he described as "clean” and "crisp” with a "refreshing sweet lemon character.” Meridian has also raised eyebrows in a wide range of ales, from pales to dark roasted malt "winter seasonals.” It’s reported to play well with Belgian yeast and has a way of amplifying the zesty zing of weissbiers.

Use in: Ales, Pale Ales, IPA's, Belgian ale, Weiss, Black IPA.

Cheers and Enjoy!

JOhn

Dry hopped my German Rye Pale Ale with Meridian, Merkur, Opal and Saphir last night. I just had to use the Meridian they smell so damn good.

Picked up 4 oz last night, hoping for some real lemon flavor

I was thinking of doing a IPA with Sorachi, Meridian and Pacifica (when they come in next week) to see how much lemon I could get. My PMS IPA , my wife should love that!

Just picked up pack of Meridian. Super interested in a Belgian beer with the hops. Was wondering what the oil percentages are and the Cohumulone percentages.

Rock Chalk

Chris

Was wondering what the oil percentages are and the Cohumulone percentages.

I'm real curious about the total oil content and oil percentages too. I read about these hops awhile ago, and I'm psyched to see them availible. I know the 2011 crop was 6.7% AlphaAcid, 9.0%BetaAcid, and 45% Cohumulone. I found the info here in this link
http://inhoppursuit.blogspot.com/search?q=meridian

I just got a pound in the mail yesterday, and today I weighed out my additions for a Single Hop Meridian Amber Ale I'm brewing tomorrow. These things smell awsome.

Ill get the data from the grower. I can' find the box they came in. I dry hopped with these along with Merkur, Opal and Saphir. Big fruit flavor and aroma. I'm brewing a PA with these, Simcoe and Palisade it should be nice.

So steeler how did this turn out. Got any tasting notes on the meridian

I just brewed a single hop meridian pale ale yesterday. The wort tasted great. I'll have to report back in a week or so. :mug:

Keano41, how did this turn out? I'm quite interested in other people's thoughts on the Meridian hops.

Keano41, how did this turn out? I'm quite interested in other people's thoughts on the Meridian hops.

I just poured my first pint today. I think it turned out pretty good! A little chill haze so far but it will clear. I went with a pretty light malt bill using 2 row, munich, wheat and victory - around 6 srm. It has a definite tropical fruit taste and smell of fruity pebbles. For 10 gallons I used magnum for a bittering charge and 3oz of meridian at 10 min, 2oz in the whirlpool and 1.5oz for dryhopping

https://plus.google.com/photos/100880868782743287244/albums/5864621586094202625?authkey=CKmdxvuns7iGKg

I just poured my first pint today. I think it turned out pretty good! A little chill haze so far but it will clear. I went with a pretty light malt bill using 2 row, munich, wheat and victory - around 6 srm. It has a definite tropical fruit taste and smell of fruity pebbles. For 10 gallons I used magnum for a bittering charge and 3oz of meridian at 10 min, 2oz in the whirlpool and 1.5oz for dryhopping

https://plus.google.com/photos/100880868782743287244/albums/5864621586094202625?authkey=CKmdxvuns7iGKg

Fruity pebbles? I'm sold. I'm making a 10 oz-single hop Meridian IPA with a pound of lactose.

Bottled up mine this morning. it definitely got some nice citrus going on. the air was full of juicyfruit, orange with hint of lemon. it has a very clean taste to right now. the color was so nice i had to take a picture of it

P1010107.jpg

My meridian/citra ipa fell on it face. Its been bottled for many weeks now and tastes horrible. At first i thought it was the meridian hop but its a peering to be a brewing flaw that is the cause. It has picked up a definite bandaidish flavor to it, which i don't know how it got there. I made three brew in one week and the other two are fine. I used campden tablets in the water and let them sit for 24 hrs before using. one of the other batches used the same washed yeast and all were fermented at 62. Im not sure were i went wrong here but heres the recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/merdian-citra-hopped-ipa-recipy-critique-392114/ Wish i could give you more info on the meridian flavor profile, I really want this one to turn out great.

I split a centennial pale ale batch into 4 secondaries and dry hopped each one with 4 grams/liter (2.7 oz for 5 gallon batch) with one of the following four hops: meridian, summit, mosaic and centennial. The meridian version isn't very interesting. It just smells generically beery. The Summit version smells strongly of oranges (none of the commonly mentioned onion/garlic). Mosaic smells very similar to Simcoe. Centennial has the classic centennial aroma but is significantly weaker than either the summit or mosaic versions.

There was no meridian in the boil which may be where it could shine, but based on my experiment it doesn't seem to add much as a dry hop.

Thank you for the follow-up AnthonyCB!
Just one thing- did you mean generically beery, or generically berry?

I have had complete opposite with meridian Very interesting hop

I have had complete opposite with meridian Very interesting hop

I have to agree with mot I used this to dry hop a Rye Pale Ale made with Merkur Saphir and Opal and I thought it really put the beer over the top. There was a lush fruitiness to the beer that was not apparent before the dry hopping that blended very well with the English malt/yeast character of the beer. It also played very nice with the subtle citrus character of the German hops I used. Very Nice.

I also used it in a DIPA with Warrior Ahtanum, Simcoe and Mosaic. In this case it was a bit harder to tell what it contributed to the beer but there was a very similar fruitiness that I'm sure was from the Meridian. Who know it could have just been the 19oz of hops I used in the beer! I think Meridain is a very nice hop and if you have the chance pick some up.

Beery as in beer like. I didn't get any berry aromas.

I just poured a bottle into a wine glass to capture the beer's aroma as best as I could. I can see what people say about berry notes now. I still think they are extremely subtle when compared to the effects of the other hops I used. As I said, maybe they do better in the boil?

Just racked to secondary a Belgian Blonde that I dryhopped with 1/2oz. Will know in a few days when I keg it how it turns out.

I brewed an IPA with Meridian and El Dorado hops mixed. I did the beer like Dogfish head does 60 minute and dry hopped with 1 oz each (8 gallons). Turned out great. One of the more popular beers among my beer friends.

Back